Yeast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodgiver

Senior Cook
I know that this must be here somewhere but I sure can't find it. My question is can a person freeze dry yeast, the kind that come 3 to a package?

If you are talking about active dry yeast or instant yeast either of which come in a foil pack of 3. It is freeze dried. You can, and should store it in the freezer.

If you are talking about fresh cake Yeast, I don't know.

AC

I know that this must be here somewhere but I sure can't find it. My question is can a person freeze dry yeast, the kind that come 3 to a package?

As long as the packages are not opened you don't need to freeze them. After all, they just sit on the shelf in the store, and not in the cold or freezer storage areas of the store. That being said, if you open your yeast package, you can keep it in a sealed jar in the refrigerator. I buy Instant yeast in a 1 lb vacuum sealed package, then put into small sealed jars in the freezer. I usually have 2-4 oz in a sealed jar in the fridge at all times for my baking needs, and pull one from the freezer when I need another one. It will keep for 12-18 months in the freezer with no problem.

If you doubt the viability of your stored active dry yeast, just put it in some warm water with a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt, and it should develop a froth in about 10 minutes or so. If it froths it's fine and just put it in your recipe. If it does not froth, pitch it and go buy some fresh stuff. Instant Yeast does not require this proofing step, as you just put it in with your dry ingredients. It has a much higher concentration of live spores than active dry yeast, and a longer shelf life.

Joe

Hi Joe V - I also buy yeast in 1# lots. I don't keep any in the fridge. I keep a large and a small container in the freezer. I use from the small and refill from the large. Works well for me. I do between 2 and 4 loaves a week, also rolls, etc for BBQ, etc.

AC

I keep the unopened in the freezer and the stuff I am using in the fridge. I buy KA's active instant yeast, or whatever it's called.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom