Yeast donuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
We used to call them “raised” donuts, but I guess that’s out of style, lol.

Can yeast donuts be pan (shallow) fried instead of deep fried? I dislike deep frying. It’s messy, smelly, and I’m never quite sure what to do with all that oil (which doesn’t come cheap).

I’m not a big fan of baked donuts though, so there lies my conundrum.

Happy Nat’l Donut Day, y’all! (Didn’t have time to go get a free donut anywhere, how about you?)

Not sure if they can be fried in a pan. You'd still need enough oil to submerge at least half the donut.

In my old cook book they fry a type of donuts in lard, as much as it cover the half of the ball.

You can always re-use frying oil for fries or other sweet treats, if your oil is smelly it is either old or the wrong type for the job or you gotten it too hot.

If you have an æbleskive pan for it, and then you can use even less fat.

You will need at least three inches of oil to pan fry your donuts. They puff up when they hit the oil and you will want them to float. Use chopsticks to turn them.

What Andy said. As long as you have enough oil to cover donut half way. I do it all the time when making Russian piroshki with jelly filling. Very similar to donuts.

On the first episode of the new Iron Chef show, the chefs had to use that pan as part of the challenge. The contestant used it to sear scallops. Turned out pretty well.

I used to make yeast doughnuts, but for just the 3 of us (when DD still lived with us) we couldn't eat them fast enough before they went stale to make a big batch and it was so much work to just make a few. Fortunately,Krispy Kreme was around.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom