Yeast Donuts Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kantonas3

Assistant Cook
Hello there,
My wife and I lost our jobs due to covid-19. However, might be helpful for us because we found time to think out of the box. We had time to discuss thinks that we never talked about. Never mind! :P
Now i go to the point. We want to open a little donut shop. We have tried several recipes but something is missing. Sometimes is not fluffy or taste like a bread. Could you please give us any advise- tips or do you know any recipe which might be useful?

Welcome to Discuss Cooking, kantonas3.

I don't make donuts, so I don't have a recipe or tips. There are at least several people here who do. I'm sure someone will be willing to make suggestions.

Welcome to DC kantonas!

I suggest you try google. Put in my doughnuts are - too yeasty, too bready, not fluffy, too fluffy, etc...

you are bound to find a lot of reading to help you with your doughnuts.
It's going to be a lot of practice!

Wish I was there to help you with your taste testing! :chef::pig:

Man, do I have a recipe for you!

Spudnut Shops were American franchised stores selling donuts made with potato flour called Spudnuts. The parent company no longer exists, but independent stores remain. The original recipe is based on a folk recipe that traces back to Germany.

Spudnuts

Ingredients:
  • ½ cup warm (105F) water
  • 2½ tsp yeast
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ½ cup sugar
  • ⅔ cup shortening
  • 2 cups scalded milk
  • 1 cup mashed potatoes
  • 2 eggs
  • 6 to 7 cups flour
  • oil (for deep frying)

Instructions:

Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. In a large bowl, combine the salt, sugar, shortening and milk and cool the mixture to body temperature.

Combine the potatoes, eggs, yeast mixture and flour, add it to the milk mixture and stir well.

Roll the dough out to ½ inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut doughnuts with a doughnut cutter, place them on a parchment lined baking sheet and let them rise for 1 hour. Fry in 350F oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

+1 on the Spudnuts. They are amazing g. I have found that that same dough is great for making long Johns, Bismarks (jelly filled doughnuts), is great for rolling out and spreading with butter, sugar, cinnamon and nuts, then rolled and sliced for cinnamon rolls, or sticky buns. It can be formed into bear claws, or used to make Danish, cheese filled pastry as well.. It's a very versatile pastry dough. And just so you know, if you roll out the dough, cut it into 2 inch rounds,
Code:
dip the rounds in melted butter, and lay out on a cookie sheet, once risen, they bake up into the most wonderful bread rolls.

Though I haven't made it, I'm pretty certain you  could make the dough into little balls (doughnut holes), fry them, roll in icnnamon and sugar, then fill with pastry cream, or make into little balls, roll in cinnamon and sugar, place in a large baking pan, and make pull-apart (monkey) bread.  Hope this gives you some ideas.

Seeeeya;  Chief Longwind of the North

WOW, thanks guys!

pretty sure this is going to get the donut juice cravings flowing in a few...!

Well done Kantonos! :LOL:

My Dad traveled in his work and was always bringing Spudnuts in with him when he came home. They were quite good.

Small towns that have a Donut shop do fairly well as they open very early (like 1:30 or 2 AM) and are selling coffee & donuts to the early birds and community movers and shakers by 5 AM. Often the proprietor gets to know the mayor, chief of police, and business community members very well and becomes the host to such a coffee klatch where they get their day started. This is one of the few culinary endeavors that can get one connected so well. (usually there is a private room for them for such meetings) If one possesses the entrepreneur spirit, he or she could start out with a donut shop and use the discrete info he could garner there to start other businesses which be more lucrative.

Good Luck if you pursue this.

Sometime back I Googled for Spudnut mix and found it could be obtained from some of the still existing Spudnut Shops.

https://www.spudnutinfo.com/

Last edited:
My Mom and Uncle started a bakery, where they featured doughnuts, and the usual pastries, such as cheese danish, bear claws, Long Johns, bis marks, with different fillings (filled yeast doughnuts), muffins, cakes and pies. What set them apart is that they also made Cornish Pasties, and meat pies. It was a very successful business, but required an awful lot of work. They eventually shut down.

I knew a gentleman that had a bread bakery. That's all he made, different types of bread. His product became so popular that he was able to supply grocery stores in his local area with his products. He was able to sell his business for well over a million dollars.

A doughnut shop, or bakery can work. But you have to make the products that people want. So do some research first. Then decide what you desire to make. Figure out the costs, including utilities such as electricity, heat, gas , and water. How much will a deep fat fryer cost, and the mixer. What will the ingredients cost, and how many pastries/doughnuts can you get from a bag of for instance, Spudnut Mix? What kind of time are you willing to put into your business? How much are you willing to pay yourself per hour? What are the taxes going to be like?

I'm not trying to scare you away frm your project. I'm just stating that you will need a business plan. Good luck, and I hope your doughnut sales go through the roof.

I would recommend the Cornish pasties. They were among the hottest selling item in my Mom's shop, and probably would be unique in your area. If you have a brick & mortar, they make a great lunch item.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Years ago when I looked into this, I believe it was one of the Spudnut shops that made the mix and sold it by mail order in bags for home users. I think this year I've been on the internet about 22 years. When I started all there was was
Excite, Alta Vista, and Yahoo search engines and not truly that many websites. One of my early searches was for Spudnuts back then.

Original Spudnut Dough Mix to make at home.

https://www.preparedpantry.com/blog/original-spudnut-donut-mix/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom