Beer Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LAJ

Senior Cook
This recipe is so easy and everyone raves about it.

3 cups self-rising flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 beer room temp. (Best if never been refrigerated) Combine dry ingredients. Add beer and mix to make soft dough. Turn out into a greased loaf pan. Set aside for 15 min. to rise. Bake at 375* for 40 min. (This bread slices best when cold) or may be torn apart when warm.

*Leftover bread can be used for toast. I love it next day buttered in toaster oven.:chef:

My Mom used to make beer bread. Good LORD it was good. THat and she had a bisquit mix she bought in a bag, blue writing, and they are still the best I've ever had. But that was in the 70's, when food was good.

I remember a beer bread mix in a blue bag in the 70's. You could use beer or soda water. It was so good.

I think that beer bread must be one of those things you either loved it or hated it. My Dad used to make it all the time. To me it was terrible and my mom said it was a waste of perfectly good beer. :LOL:

LAJ, just outof curiosity, what is with all of the bread recipes? Are you craving carbs? You are making me crave carbs!

Joesfolf,
You asked about all the bread recipes. I was looking at some of my recipes that were printed in my church cookbooks. And, I guess I must have been craving carbs..yes... actually, I have been making bread since I was 7 or 8 years old. Began with biscuits and pita bread.

I have had some bad beer bread over the years. My friends are not good cooks. ha. the key is not overduing it with the beer. Mine is crusty and just the right combination. My son makes 10 loaves to go along with his 4 or 5 deep fried turkeys on board Coast Guard boat. They eat well. He had to teach their cook to buy local and taught him how to cook. ha ha
Go Coast Guard!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom