Best cornbread I ever made

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MexicoKaren

Head Chef
Most of you probably already have your favorite recipe for cornbread, but I had not found exactly the right one until today. I took another recipe that I found online, tinkered with it a bit, and it was SO good we ate half the pan. Very moist, light and just the right amount of sweetness. I thought I would share it with you if you haven't already got a TNT recipe:

KAREN'S BEST CORNBREAD

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1/3 cup butter, melted

In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Combine the egg, sour cream, milk and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
Pour into a buttered 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm with honey butter.

Karen, Karen, Karen....

Where's the cast iron skillet and bacon fat?

Now, to make you eat the WHOLE pan, put a cast iron skillet in the oven during the preheating phase, but make sure you've also put about 2 tablespoons of bacon grease in the skillet.

When the oven is hot, and the skillet is too, remove the skillet and swirl it to coat the inside with the bacon grease. Pour in your cornbread batter and bake as your recipe directs.

Yum, yum, yummo!!!!

Katie, you just took a good thing and made it even better! You can rest assured that I will do exactly that next time I make it...should have consulted with you guys first!! Oh yum. Thanks...

I don't have a TNT recipe, so I am more than up for trying this one out (and with the bacon fat too in my CI!!).
Thanks!

I can't tell you how thrilled I am that there has been no nastiness over whether or not someone puts sugar in their cornbread. On my old board that was a huge argument that is still ongoing whenever anyone new comes along.

I never understood why people can't enjoy cornbread anyway they like it.

I once bought blue cornmeal and made a very strange purplish gray cornbread. I learned that this kind of cornmeal molds quickly and must be kept refrigerated. It was really different.

I can't tell you how thrilled I am that there has been no nastiness over whether or not someone puts sugar in their cornbread. On my old board that was a huge argument that is still ongoing whenever anyone new comes along.

I never understood why people can't enjoy cornbread anyway they like it.

I once bought blue cornmeal and made a very strange purplish gray cornbread. I learned that this kind of cornmeal molds quickly and must be kept refrigerated. It was really different.

As long as it doesn't come from a green can you are safe!:LOL:

Sounds GREAT Karen. Here are some variations to try -

Add:

Cream style corn
green chilies
cheddar cheese (right in the middle is good, along with the green chilies!)
cooked chorizo
cooked sausage
jalapeno
ground red pepper

Of course, not all at once (but then again maybe...:LOL:)

I've never tried the sour cream - I will definitely try that! That might very well be the secret to a friend's cornbread recipe. Thanks for posting!!!

And PieSusan - yea, I can't understand how there is a right and wrong to "cooking". Regional, personal taste, heritage, or just plain "that's the way I like it" is what makes cooking so fun and makes us step outside the box. There may not be tarragon in "authentic" lobster rolls, but, it's the flavor I want in mine.

Back
Top Bottom