Better cornbread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this is very strange indeed.

look at these 2 screenshots
the first one shows the link in url form and when i click on it it is broken

img_829470_0_9aea25eebb41a76d6770a19756452a3c.jpg

the second one is after i quoted the post and now it shows in text form and it works when i click on it.

img_829470_1_71b740fa9dd20efeb82a3331d2fc6f39.jpg

Very strange. It's the same for me. the link in Karen's post shows the URL (on my screen it doesn't wrap like it does on msmofet's) and it brings up a "page not found" error, and the quoted link in msmofet's post shows the title of the page and brings me to the post with the recipe.

There's probably a better place to post this, but I'm not sure where. If an admin chooses to move this I won't be offended, but I will appreciate if you let me know where to look for replies.

Really! My personal experience of growing, harvesting, and drying corn to be taken to a grist mill for grinding into meal has shown me that the addition of Wheat flour is not necessary for cornbread. The nature of the grinding process creates a certain level of Corn flour within the meal itself. With the addition of a fat (I like Corn Oil), baking powder/soda, salt, milk/buttermilk and eggs to the meal a delicious cornbread can be made. If I feel additional flour is needed in some applications, I prefer to use Corn flour (not to be confused with Corn starch) rather than Wheat flour.

Enjoy!

Nice. I will have to try this. Have you experimented at all with store bought cornmeal? That's all I tend to have. I could grind some amount of cornmeal into flour with my fp or my (spice dedicated) coffee mill, but I think my grain mill is not supposed to be used with corn. (working from memory here, have to go hunt down the manual to be sure)

Nice. I will have to try this. Have you experimented at all with store bought cornmeal? That's all I tend to have. I could grind some amount of cornmeal into flour with my fp or my (spice dedicated) coffee mill, but I think my grain mill is not supposed to be used with corn. (working from memory here, have to go hunt down the manual to be sure)

Russ...HERE is one source for Corn Flour. I'm sure there are many more. I buy Corn flour from an Indian Market so you may find it in specialty type stores/markets. I've never seen it in the main line grocery stores in my area except in the form of some commercial fish fry products whose ingredients are: Corn Flour.

Yes, I have used "sto-bought" corn meals....My pantry is never without Martha White or White Lily SR Corn Meals...I use them frequently as a base for breading purposes...Even make cornbread/hush puppies with them at times.... Also, the SR products usually contain a small amount of Wheat flour that gives bread a finer, lighter texture! Good stuff!

Thanks Uncle Bob! I found some of that very stuff today in a local store that I knew stocked a good selection of Bob's Red Mill items. Will be trying out cornbread soon.

Do you have a recipe I should try, or should I just go with the recipe linked at the top of this thread and sub corn flour for the AP?

What type of meal do you have..?? Is it a shelf rising meal or a plain meal??

Then again...it doesn't matter. Just follow the directions of your recipe, and if it calls for flour then use the corn flour instead of wheat....Personally I would probably cut back on the amount of flour a recipe called for...If the recipe said 1 Cup of meal...1 cup of flour ...I would use 1 1/2 cups meal, 1/2 cup of flour....or none at all....I prefer a coarser corn bread rather than those with a more cake like texture..You can play with recipes/ratios until you find what you like...

Have Fun & Enjoy!!!

Stone ground cornmeal makes the best cornbread, IMHO. Has a nice crunch and more flavor than the Quaker and Jiffy types. It also needs to be fresh--store it in the freezer, not in the pantry. (Unless you make cornbread every night!)

Stone ground cornmeal makes the best cornbread, IMHO. Has a nice crunch and more flavor than the Quaker and Jiffy types. It also needs to be fresh--store it in the freezer, not in the pantry. (Unless you make cornbread every night!)

+1

Don't know what I'm gonna do however...My old Miller passed away, and I'm down to my last 15 pounds or so...That old guy and his mill was a "well oiled machine" together....His DW said he love that mill more than her....:LOL:

Sorry the link didn't work - it still works for me (go figure!) Here is the recipe, which I posted originally on DC - Katie E. pointed out that it might be improved by baking it in a cast iron skillet, and I'm sure she is right.

KAREN'S BEST CORNBREAD

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1/3 cup butter, melted

In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Combine the egg, sour cream, milk and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
Pour into a buttered 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm with honey butter. __________________

i grew up in the south and cornbread was done in heavy iron skillet, in the oven. sorta flat and crispy. mostly now i make a knock off of marie callenders corn bread, kinda light and flaky and sweet. like each for its own merits.

p.s. sometimes i add whole kernel corn and or green chilies, chopped , canned . drain and add to batter, also once in a while cheese. :chef:

I always use stone-ground cornmeal and bacon grease for my cornbread. I like to mix wheat flour and cornmeal, because pure cornmeal makes it too dry and crumbly for my taste. The proportions are optional (up to 50/50, depending on personal taste). Here's one of my favorites (Mama has also posted this recipe on her Mama's Southern Cooking website):

2/3 cup plain white cornmeal (preferably stone-ground)
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
3 tablespoons (approx.) bacon grease
1 cup (approx.) milk

Melt the bacon grease in an 8" or 9" heavy skillet over medium-high heat (on my electric range I use heat setting 6-7). In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients together with a large spoon. Add the egg and 2/3 of the milk. Stir to mix then pour most of the melted bacon grease into the batter, leaving a little in the bottom of the skillet. Stir again and check the consistency. It should be pourable, about the consistency of thick pancake batter. If needed, add more milk or a little water.
Pour the batter into the skillet, cover and immediately reduce the heat to medium-low (about setting 2-3 on my range). Cook about 12 minutes, until the edges begin to appear dry and it's beginning to set in the center. There should be bubbles on top that aren't closing back up. Run a spatula/ pancake turner under the bread, lift it slightly (it should be firm enough not to break or fall apart), put the skillet upside down over the top, and flip the whole thing so the uncooked portion is now in the bottom of the skillet. Cover again and cook another 10 minutes or so. Turn it out onto a plate, cut into wedges and serve it hot with butter. Serves 6.

Uncle Bob, I like this brand: All Natural Flours & Corn Meals | Hodgson Mill

I can buy it (usually) at the local WalMart.

Thanks for the tip....I see some local ground meal here and there, but (in the distant past) it wasn't much punkin!! Not sure if it was the variety of corn, not dried properly prior to milling or what...I considered trying to buy my old miller's mill... If she (the Widow) would even sell it, I would have to build a small out building just to house it...Not sure I wanna get that involved...People worrying you at odd times wanting you to grind a 2 gallon water bucket of corn..:ermm: ---- Maybe it's already been sold to another local entrepreneur, and I can take advantage of it...

Uncle Bob,

I've been buying my stoneground cornmeal and grits from Nora Mill Granery in Helen, Georgia: www.noramill.com. They also have great sourwood honey and blackberry jam, among other items. The prices are reasonable, the quality is great and they're nice folks. You might want to give them a try.

Thank you my friend...I've had their Stone ground grits in the past, but not their meal... and as you say...Good stuff!!! Right now I'm finishing up 10 lbs of Anson Mills Antebellum Grits...I will cook a big pot Saturday morning to go with my Country ham and red-eye gravy...Yum!!!

Anson Mills Products

THat would make nice corn meal muffins, but for me corn bread is not sweet and has no white flour.

corn meal, eggs, salt, baking soda and powder, buttermilk, into a HOT greased with bacon fat skillet, into a HOT 425/450 oven for 25-30 min. That will give you cornbread.
And gluten free eaters will love you for it too!

THat would make nice corn meal muffins, but for me corn bread is not sweet and has no white flour.

corn meal, eggs, salt, baking soda and powder, buttermilk, into a HOT greased with bacon fat skillet, into a HOT 425/450 oven for 25-30 min. That will give you cornbread.
And gluten free eaters will love you for it too!

I'll take 1/3 of that skillet.......;)

Back
Top Bottom