Biscuit Pie Recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tombo

Assistant Cook
Hey, I baked some biscuits over the weekend and while enjoying one with bourbon spread and fruit I thought that it would make the most awesome pie crust so I thought I would ask everybody hear for their favourite biscuit pie recipes.

I think it would be great to try out.

Any recommendations?

By the way, I am looking mainly for savoury pie ideas :)

I've made chicken pot pie with biscuit on the top. I don't think a biscuit bottom crust would work since you wouldn't get the same texture with the moisture of the filling not allowing the biscuit dough to cook the same way. I don't have a recipe but I use chopped or shredded chicken (usually left over rotisserie), mix in a can of cream of chicken soup and about the same amount of sour cream, add some frozen mixed veggies, seasoned salt, pepper to taste and sometimes I'll add about a tablespoon of ranch dressing mix. Stir that all up and put in my greased pan, mix the biscuit dough and spread on top and bake for 20-25 mins at 350°F until the biscuit top is golden and the inside is bubbly.

I don't have a recipe per se, as I make chicken pot pie ( or other pot pies) with leftovers.

Have some already cooked chicken cut into bite size pieces.
Have some leftover or frozen veggies mix w chicken
Have some leftover gravy or sauce or make some
Optional, have some snipped herbs and or cooked onion/ garlic to add to the sauce.

You can make a veloute sauce using 2 Tbs butter, 2 Tbs flour, make a roux with this, add 2 Cups chicken broth, heat and stir until thick and smooth. To this, I like to add a little milk to it too, so it is a creamier sauce. If you have only a little gravy, or just pan drippings you could add this to the sauce to finish.

Or use any cream soup or jarred gravy. You can spiff these up by cooking a little onion in butter to soften and / or adding a little savory herbs to the sauce..

Now, this is probably the only real tip I have-- the chicken/ veggies/ sauce should be hot before topping with biscuits. Biscuits do not need to bake a long time before they are done, and it can take longer for the casserole to become fully heated through. So, your choice, cook in a pan until hot and put in casserole dish, or as I do, mix everything, put in a casserole dish, Cover and bake about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, make biscuits. Put biscuits on top of casserole and bake un covered until done, about 18-20 minutes. Bake extra biscuits on baking sheet to serve alongside.

The other reason I prefer to do it this way is the hot casserole mix helps cook the biscuits so the biscuits are done all the way through and not soggy or under- cooked bottoms when the tops are done.

You can certainly make beef pot pies or any other flavor / mix you like. I should think I have made turkey pot pies.

Last edited:
This sounds delicious, Z! What is"flavor extender"?

I still have the little Bisquick cook booklet of Impossible Pies somewhere, from the late '70's I think.

This sounds delicious, Z! What is"flavor extender"?

I still have the little Bisquick cook booklet of Impossible Pies somewhere, from the late '70's I think.
It does sound good.

I got curious about the "flavor extender" too, so I Googled. I found a couple of patents for flavour extenders, but they are more recent than the recipe.

I'm guessing MSG. I think one could substitute fish sauce. But, we'll hear back from Z soon.

It does sound good.

I got curious about the "flavor extender" too, so I Googled. I found a couple of patents for flavour extenders, but they are more recent than the recipe.

I'm guessing MSG. I think one could substitute fish sauce. But, we'll hear back from Z soon.

Worcestershire sauce would be good with that, too.

Last edited:
I've made chicken pot pie with biscuit on the top. I don't think a biscuit bottom crust would work since you wouldn't get the same texture with the moisture of the filling not allowing the biscuit dough to cook the same way. I don't have a recipe but I use chopped or shredded chicken (usually left over rotisserie), mix in a can of cream of chicken soup and about the same amount of sour cream, add some frozen mixed veggies, seasoned salt, pepper to taste and sometimes I'll add about a tablespoon of ranch dressing mix. Stir that all up and put in my greased pan, mix the biscuit dough and spread on top and bake for 20-25 mins at 350°F until the biscuit top is golden and the inside is bubbly.
i want recipe milk pie, hellp me please[emoji3]

Sent from my 1201 using Tapatalk

This thread is turning into a "looking for a lost recipe" one. Can those posts be moved to the appropriate thread? I know it is a lot of work. :angel:

Hey, I baked some biscuits over the weekend and while enjoying one with bourbon spread and fruit I thought that it would make the most awesome pie crust so I thought I would ask everybody hear for their favourite biscuit pie recipes.

I think it would be great to try out.

Any recommendations?

By the way, I am looking mainly for savoury pie ideas :)

Baking soda/powder, or quickbread dough is used for pizza crust at the famous Uno's Pizzeria, with its very juicy deep-dish pizza. It will work as a bottom crust.

Here are some filling ideas:

Diced, cooked chicken with diced potato, carrot, onion, garlic, salt and pepper, with, or without gravy in the pie.

Pepper-steak - Steak cubes cooked medium rare with sliced onion, and your choice of bell peppers. Add some sliced black olives and maybe top it with swiss cheese slices. Serve with A1 steak sauce

Pastie filling - diced potato, diced rutabagga, cooked and seasoned ground beef (salt, pepper, garlic powder). This one requires a top crust as well as a bottom crust.

Make it with quiche ingredients - beaten eggs, diced green peppers, diced onion, fried and crumble breadfast sausage, or ham, etc.

Turn it into Uno's copy-cat deep-dish pizza, with your favorite filllings.

Sweeten the dough and add cinnamon and nutmeg. Blind bake in your pie pan, then fill with halved, fresh strawberries, a strawberry glaze, and top with whipped cream. It would be like having a giant strawberry biscuit.

I'm thinking sliced pork, with a good, sage bread dressing, and gravy. Oh yeh!

That should give you some ideas. I hope you make yourself some wonderful pies.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom