Cornbread and ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

osucook

Assistant Cook
I want to try out a different cornbread recipe and I need something to make with it besides chili. I know that traditionally these two are paired together but I want to make something else. Any ideas?

Cornbread is great with fried or baked chicken, with anything salty like corned beef, or stew. It has a sweetness that ballances the saltyness of other foods. I wouldn't make cornbread and serve it with potatoes, as it would be a very starchy meal. It would be good with green veggies such as green or wax beans, with baked beans, kidney beans, chili (but you already know that), with savory dishes like well done pot roast, or even with New England boiled dinner.

Just remember, ballance is not only good nutritionally, but is necessary with the flavors as well.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

It's good with gumbo or just downn home cooking.

ham, blackeyed peas, collards, chicken and dumplings, beef stew for starters.

I think its great with nearly any type of soup, especially creamy chowders.

it would go perfectly with the lamb neck stew (called daube provencal) i made from tony bourdain's new cookbook. i'll bring in and post the recipe tomorrow...
it's a thick, dark stew full of chunks of lamb on the bone, carrots and potatoes, and is perfumed by orange zest. the subtle sweetness of cornbread would match perfectly with it...

thanks for all of the suggestions.

that lamb stew sounds delish buckytom! very fragrant with the orange zest.

maybe i'll make some kind of a stew, that sounds good with the cornbread, its making my mouth water.

buckytom said:
it would go perfectly with the lamb neck stew (called daube provencal)

I love stews as does my husband...cant wait for this recipe..
Thanks in advance for posting.

Cornbread and Pot Roast/Gravy

I brown a chuck roast and add 1 each of cream of chicken, cream of celery,
French onion soup and about 1 can of water. Cover and cook in the oven at 350* for about 3 hours or so until it is tender. Make rice or mashed potatoes. Put the gravy on the rice or mashed potatoes or cornbread. YUM YUM

Everything...cornbread is awesome!

I tend to incorperate the paired ingredients into the cornbread. I LOVE chipotle, smoked cheddar, and cilantro cornbread paired with, well, anything South Western. The variations are wayyyy numerous...

Try cornbread with cream of broccoli soup or even tortilla soup. It's delicious! I add a bit of extra creamed corn and heavy cream into my cornbread recipe to make it extra creamy. Cheddar and jalapeños in cornbread are also great.

I love cornbread for breakfast with honey butter, scrambled eggs, and ham, bacon, or sausages. My friend pours white gravy over slices of cornbread for breakfast (something like gravy and biscuits). Put chunks of cornbread in a bowl and pour over a little cream, milk or buttermilk -- much better than breakfast cereal! Oh, yes, cornbread (especially a day old or older) makes a great bread pudding!! YUMMERS!!!!!!

:) Butter beans cooked in a crock pot with celery,onions,carrots and a smoked ham hock.Thats what we are having tonight.

I serve cornbread with many things. However, my Southern heritage forbids the addition of sugar to it like many modern day recipes. Without that sugar I add many savory items like jalapeno, corn, cheese, etc.

Noooo sugar here, either, BJ. Having Southern parents, we had cornbread 5x a week. It didn't matter what was being served.

I don't know where you hail from but in the south, there's nothing to beat cornbread (where the batter is poured into a hot, greased, sizzling iron skillet so that it bakes crispy on the outside) and then served with grilled pork sausage (these days I use turkey sausage to be on the healthy side), smoked pinto beans, and coleslaw. Of course all of this can be scaled down calorie wise (fat-free mayo for the coleslaw, etc.) Man, I'm salivating as I write this.:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom