Cornmeal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gretchen said:
Bob's Red Mill yellow grits are basically coarse cornmeal=polenta.
Which is exactly the point of those correctly pointing out that not all types of grits are made from hominy.

Edited to avoid further insult: However, I think they might say that it's not coarse cornmeal. It's corn ground coarser than cornmeal.

Last edited:
The two kinds that I have now are Arrowhead Mills White corn grits - these cook up very creamy - not grainy at all when cooked - the other is Jim Dandy that I bought at the local grocery - they are are quick grits and cook up very creamy also, but not quite as fine as the AH mills brand, who also make very good yellow corn grits that aren't grainy either, but are a bit more starchy. I believe the misunderstanding is simply a matter of milling, which could surely be done differently in different places, or by different brands.

No, I really think the misunderstanding is what "grits" means. It can mean and as Bob markets it, ground corn that is not treated with lime. That to me is "corn meal" and is another name for polenta--and I have some in my cupboard. It does not taste anything like Jim Dandy, Quaker, etc. If it were served in Charleston as part of a "shrimp and grits" meal, it would be called shrimp and polenta, I do believe.
White grits, treated with lime, and which many people do not like, are VERY different in taste and makeup. Corn treated with lime and then ground is what most of us understand as "grits".
Your point about the white grits cooking up creamy is the real point also--they have a kind of "slickness" to them and are never grainy.

Gretchen said:
No, I really think the misunderstanding is what "grits" means. It can mean and as Bob markets it, ground corn that is not treated with lime. That to me is "corn meal" and is another name for polenta--and I have some in my cupboard. It does not taste anything like Jim Dandy, Quaker, etc. If it were served in Charleston as part of a "shrimp and grits" meal, it would be called shrimp and polenta, I do believe.
White grits, treated with lime, and which many people do not like, are VERY different in taste and makeup. Corn treated with lime and then ground is what most of us understand as "grits".
Your point about the white grits cooking up creamy is the real point also--they have a kind of "slickness" to them and are never grainy.
Gretchen, way back in this thread I said that for me, grits is made of hominy, but that doesn't make licia's or that Ft. Worth fellers grits go by a different name.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom