Crystalized Ginger Scones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norgeskog

Washing Up
I like to slice day old scones in half, and put in toaster oven to slightly brown, butter and enjoy.

CRYSTALIZED GINGER SCONES

1-1/2 cups unbleached flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbs baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
6 Tbs butter, cut into cubes
1/2 cup currents (dried cranberries would work as well)
1/4 cup chopped pecans (hazelnuts or other favorite is good)
1/4 cup crystalized ginger, chopped
2/3 cup plain yogurt

Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt (I put all in a bowl and gently stir with a whisk to incorporate). Cut in the butter until mix looks like gravel. Mix in the fruit and nuts until blended. Pour in the yogurt and mix with an electric mixer until just blended. DO NOT OVER STIR. Form dough into a circle on a buttered cookie sheet using a wet spatula, if necessary. to help distribute the batter. Score the circle into 6 triangular pieces letting the knife go three-quarters through the dough without cutting completely to the cookie sheet. Bake 12-15 minutes or until browned at 350. Best when served warm,.

All right kids. I need to know shat the actual definition of a scone is. My first introduction to scones was as a young teen. My aunt took raw yeast bread dough and formed it into a thin circle, then fried it in hot oil, like fry bread. I've also had something similar, but made with baking powder instead of yeast (this is actual fry bread, just by another name).

Iv'e seen recipes for scones that resemble everything from a yeast-raised doughnut to baked flat bread. So bring on the facts. I'm looking for a bit of history, and authenticity here. I want to be educated about scones. :D

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

To me a scone is something that is quite chewy while still retaining a fluffyness and something whose flour taste generally comes through more than a sweetened flavour, generally not made with yeast.

Mmm piping hot and big enough to be substantial when you break it in half to smother it in cream and jam. My god, I have a sudden craving for Devonshire Tea :).

I'm not sure of the definition of a scone but the ones I've had are a little denser in texture, kind of like a cornbread. But they have been fluffy in their own right. I've had sweet and savory scones and have loved them all! This looks like a great recipe, I've printed it out and can't wait to try it someday, I'm a big fan of ginger. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom