Diagnose my biscuits please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sunnysmile said:
Thanks for this advice! I guess I went too far the other direction when trying not to overwork them. I didn't knead at all. Just dumped the dough and patted out to an inch thick.

Does anyone know how bubbly baking powder should be when you test it?

If you pour boiling water over baking powder there should be a fairly violent reaction. If it just fizzles it likely needs to be replaced.

I am sorry, I corrected my original post. There was 2/3 cup crisco in the recipe. I used my kitchen aide to cut in the shortening, then just pulsed it when I added the milk. It was very sticky, but I didn't add more flour except to roll it out. Texture was great. I just want TALL biscuits!! I've tested my baking powder, and it bubbles in water...I just don't know how much it should bubble. It wasn't "violent" bubbling.

I had enough baking powder according to your suggestion, but you are right, the recipe needs baking soda. This is a recipe from allrecipes.com

You said you didn't "work" your biscuits, but if you used the KitchenAid, you DID work those biscuits. I was taught that biscuits are always done by hand. You can cut in the fat with knives, forks, mezzaluna, or your fingers, but no mechanical devices. You shouldn't need soda if you are using baking powder.

You said you didn't "work" your biscuits, but if you used the KitchenAid, you DID work those biscuits. I was taught that biscuits are always done by hand. You can cut in the fat with knives, forks, mezzaluna, or your fingers, but no mechanical devices. You shouldn't need soda if you are using baking powder.
I will say I worked them, but only to a degree, I just lightly pulsed the ingredients to get them to come together. But it sounds like I should have kneaded them a few times after that, according to other posters.

And, now I'm confused about the baking powder/baking soda thing. Since it had buttermilk, shouldn't it also have soda to activate that lift? I think I will get some new baking powder, as it is not all that bubbly when tested. Thanks again everyone!

good rule of thumb is to replace Baking powder every year, even if you haven't used that much of it. It's important that it be active.

I didn't read all of the other posts but the first things that come to mind are:
1. Don't expect quick dough to rise like yeast dough, it won't.
2. Place the biscuits close to each other, they sort of help each other along.
3. Check the date on your baking powder...I assume you already did this.
4. Although I too want my biscuits tall and fluffy I have noticed that a lot of the cooks seen on the food channel (Usually Southern cooks) don't expect great height in their biscuits. Most seem to say they should be rolled out to 1/2 inch. And I am sure that they know a lot more about making biscuits than I do.

good rule of thumb is to replace Baking powder every year, even if you haven't used that much of it. It's important that it be active.

I finally looked for baking powder in bulk...now I buy it by the tablespoon (3-4 tablespoons) whenever I have plans. I keep a little airtight jar for it.

I made the Paula Dean cream biscuits and loved them, but they were crumbly - especially the tops of the biscuits. The bottoms usually held together. What do i need to change or do differently? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom