Doughnuts from canned biscuits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Have any of you ever tried this? A friend was just telling me he cuts a whole in the center of a biscuit, and fries it in enough Canola oil to float.

I've done this before, actually, just a long time ago. It does end up tasting pretty close to a doughnut- and you can save the middle section to make doughnut holes, too!

Cinnamon sugar works, but for a traditional doughnut, either regular sugar, powdered sugar, or some icing would work well.

-Tim

I've done this in the past and they tasted pretty yummy. I think I will buy a can and give it a try.

I've made this before. I use buttermilk biscuits and cut them in quarters and fry them up. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and they taste a lot like funnel cakes.

In my first cookbook, Betty Crockers Boys and Girls cookbook, there is a recipe using canned biscuit for donuts. You bake the biscuits in muffin cups and then roll the warm biscuites in melted butter and cinnamon sugar. I made these again last winter when I had some canned biscuits expiring in the fridge and didn't know what to do with them. My DH and DD were out shoveling snow so I made these for when they came in from the cold. They loved them!

Yes, I used to do this for our Sunday schoolers. It is really pretty good.

I just happened to think of this. Haven't tried it but---
You can separate those biscuits in half (not necessarily the extra flaky kind--just ordinary biscuits). It might make a lighter version if you separated them and then cut and fried them.
I use this technique of splitting the biscuits if I use them for my chicken potpie top crust--thinner, nicer, less doughy.

jabbur said:
I've made this before. I use buttermilk biscuits and cut them in quarters and fry them up. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and they taste a lot like funnel cakes.

I've done this as well...As a beignet rip off! Not the same, but can be tasty.

Interesting! I'd never think of that on my own. Must try it sometime!

My mom has been making these for years. She can never make enough of them they are devoured so quickly. She gets asked for the recipe every time. If I remember right she fries them in crisco and then the icing is powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and a touch of cream cheese.

Last edited:
We use to do this all the time. They really aren't bad at all. You can dust them with powdered sugar, dip them in your favorite melted chocolate. You can also keep them whole and squeeze some flavored pudding in them too.

They have these on the buffet in most Chinese restaurants. They fry the whole biscuit and roll it in white granulated sugar. I have made them at home and they are good.

abjcooking said:
My mom has been making these for years. She can never make enough of them they are devoured so quickly. She gets asked for the recipe every time. If I remember right she fries them in crisco and then the icing is powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and a tough of cream cheese.

ABJ, what is "a tough of cream cheese"?

Lee

Well, I guess we're just going to have to try them out!

I like Uncle Bob's idea of doing them like beignets. I know they won't taste the same, but it's been so many years since I've had a beignet, that I'm sure it will taste good to me.
Parden me, if I have hot chocolate (with a shot of Bailey's), instead of coffee, with mine.

A fried biscuit has the taste and texture of a fried biscuit. While it's good for what it is ... is does not resemble cake donuts, yeast donuts, beignet or sopapilla (the Mexican cousin of the French beignet) in either flavor or texture.

Mom used to make these back in the '50's - and we used to make these on Boy Scout camp outs back in the '60's ... before smores (think that was a Girl Scout invention).

They are, however, quite tasty.

You can also lay the biscuits out on a baking sheet ... use your thumb to poke a "well" in the cetner ... fill the well with jelly, brush the biscuit with melted butter (and put a little knob of butter in the jelly), sprinkle on a bit of sugar, and bake. Poor man's jelly donut! My kids used to love them.

Yes, "tough" was a typo. I meant "touch". That's what I get for typing fast when I'm in a hurry.

Back
Top Bottom