Freezing Question re: baked goods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMediger

Head Chef
Hello All,
Looking for some input on freezing cupcakes and muffins ...

It's just the 2 of us so making a whole cake is rather fattening and the thought of a dozen muffins is daunting. My thought is that I could make either cupcakes or small loaves of cake then freeze and the whole batch of muffins but freeze half.

So ... What are your TNT methods for freezing cupcakes, small loaves or muffins? Freeze then bag? Individually wrap then freeze?

Thank you for your thoughts!

Just the two of us here and I bake a lot. Make ALL our bread products.

I've had no less than perfect success by wrapping cupcakes, rolls, etc. individually with Press 'N Seal plastic wrap then putting them in a freezer-weight ziploc bag and expelling/pressing out as much air as possible. To ensure that I get as much remaining air out as I can, I suck out the air using a plastic drinking straw. The plastic wrap pretty much prevents any icy crystals on the items and keeps them very, very fresh for a long while in the freezer.

If I'm freezing cupcakes with soft frosting, I'll put them in the freezer uncovered for a while, say 30-45 minutes to an hour, to harden, then wrap them singly much as Katie does. The same goes for fudge or cookies with maybe jam or something sticky on top, wrapping serving sizes after they've hardened in the freezer. It's a little easier to resist gobbling up the entire batch. :pig:

I save the foam trays that produce comes on and use them as a base to store cookies and muffins. I place waxed paper between them and then place them in a zip lock freezer bag. I must tell you my results are not perfect, I attribute it to the thaw/freeze action of my frost free freezer compartment. With muffins I take them out and put them in the oven to thaw/heat and that gives them a just baked taste.

I also slice package and freeze some commercial cakes and pies.

This allows me to pull out single portions and helps eliminate waist! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
I wrap each one in foil, then place in ziplocks. I do the same for cake slices unless there's frosting, in which case, I do cling wrap, then foil, then ziplock. Works perfectly.

Last edited:
I freeze costco muffins (sorry) in plastic wrap with no problem. Of course they are gone in a week, maybe two at most. Teenagers!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom