Gluten Free Quick Breads or Muffins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkaylady

Senior Cook
I have a gluten intolerance and would appreciate any gluten free recipes for quick breads like zucchini bread, cranberry bread, etc. I recently made a Gluten Free Banana Bread that tasted just like a regular banana bread but don't know if I can adapt that recipe to other ones.

I have a gluten intolerance and would appreciate any gluten free recipes for quick breads like zucchini bread, cranberry bread, etc. I recently made a Gluten Free Banana Bread that tasted just like a regular banana bread but don't know if I can adapt that recipe to other ones.

What did you use instead of wheat flour?

What did you use instead of wheat flour?

I used King Arthur Gluten Free Flour (it is actually a blend of various different gluten free flours but they just call it flour). It was an excellent flour but I haven't tried other brands to compare it to yet. I have a feeling it is superior to the other blends out there. When you use gluten free flour blend you have to add xanthan gum as well.

Gluten-Free, Soy-Free Recipe Referrals & Resources

Hey there Mkaylady!

I discovered my gluten & soy intolerance about 5 yrs ago, and since I'm too broke to buy the expensive mixes and premade products, I've learned to make nearly everything now - although sadly, I haven't done plain ole' bread yet.

I think I went through some experimentation until I discovered Betty Hagman. :chef: Sadly, she passed away in 2007, but I highly recommend using her flour mix recipes. This blog post honors her, and also links to many other gluten-free blogs at once: Gluten Free Bloggers Unite to Honor Bette Hagman: A Tribute to Bette, the Gluten Free Gourmet | Book of Yum.

I refer to her book, The Gluten-Free Gourmet every other day for a recipe, and when I want something else, some of my favorite blogs are at Gluten-Free Gobsmacked and Gluten-Free Goddess.

Pretty much, you can use Betty's GF mix plus a protein, with the correct amt of Xanthum Gum to convert ANY recipe, OR you can sub her Four-Bean Flour mix plus Xanthum Gum cup-for-cup with anything calling for wheat flour.

You'll find you can see some of the essentials for free on Google Books here.

Sorry - I'd like to post more, but I'm falling asleep. I will try to give you more specifics later.

Goodnight!

Hey there Mkaylady!

I discovered my gluten & soy intolerance about 5 yrs ago, and since I'm too broke to buy the expensive mixes and premade products, I've learned to make nearly everything now - although sadly, I haven't done plain ole' bread yet.

I think I went through some experimentation until I discovered Betty Hagman. :chef: Sadly, she passed away in 2007, but I highly recommend using her flour mix recipes. This blog post honors her, and also links to many other gluten-free blogs at once: Gluten Free Bloggers Unite to Honor Bette Hagman: A Tribute to Bette, the Gluten Free Gourmet | Book of Yum.

I refer to her book, The Gluten-Free Gourmet every other day for a recipe, and when I want something else, some of my favorite blogs are at Gluten-Free Gobsmacked and Gluten-Free Goddess.

Pretty much, you can use Betty's GF mix plus a protein, with the correct amt of Xanthum Gum to convert ANY recipe, OR you can sub her Four-Bean Flour mix plus Xanthum Gum cup-for-cup with anything calling for wheat flour.

You'll find you can see some of the essentials for free on Google Books here.

Sorry - I'd like to post more, but I'm falling asleep. I will try to give you more specifics later.

Goodnight!

Thanks so much for the info. Any info you have would be appreciated. I also have been gluten free for over 5 years but, up until now, I have been buying everything already made. Now I am starting to experiment with baking gluten free. (I was an excellent baker before the gluten intolerance but gave it up for that reason.)

I do have a couple of Bette Hagman's cookbooks but have not tried any of her recipes. However, if I can convert regular baking recipes into gluten free then I am not limited to just gluten free cookbooks. I didn't quite understand what you meant by using the GF mix plus a protein, what would fall into the protein category?

Back
Top Bottom