Irish Soda Bread Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irish Soda bread

My friend Tom gave me his mother's recipe...my family usually eats it 2x a week with dinner. I bake it in a convection microwave.

Tom's Mom's Irish Soda Bread

2 cups flour
just shy 1 cup buttermilk
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

bake at 400F for ~40 min.

The dough should be soft but manageable. Knead the dough into a ball in the mixing bowl with your floured hands. Put on a lightly floured baking sheet and with the palm of your hand flatten out in a circle 1 1/2 inches thick for a free-standing loaf. Or, grease a 9-inch pie plate, dust lightly with oat bran, place the prepared dough in the pie plate.

With a knife dipped in flour, make a cross through the center of the bread so that it will easily break into quarters when it is baked. Bake for 30-45 minutes (convection microwave LOW MIX/BAKE for 25-27 minutes at 180C). Check after 30 minutes (convection microwave check at 25 minutes) by picking up the loaf and tapping the bottom. If you hear a hollow sound, the bread is done. If making soda bread rolls, convection microwave LOW MIX/BAKE for 15 minutes. Cool on a rack.

If the crust seems too hard, wrap the baked bread in a damp tea cloth. Leave the loaf standing upright until it is cool.

Last edited:
I use buttermilk a lot! I love a cold glass of buttermilk with grated lime zest and freshly ground pepper on top.

Anyway, I am surprised it is expensive in the US--I find it is a better price in NYS than in Ontario. Buttermilk freezes well. I also have powdered buttermilk on hand for recipes. When I freeze buttermilk, I freeze it in one-cup containers. Thawed, it doesn't seem to lose it's integrity.

.... Buttermilk freezes well. I also have powdered buttermilk on hand for recipes. When I freeze buttermilk, I freeze it in one-cup containers. Thawed, it doesn't seem to lose it's integrity.
I did not know that, so thanks for mentioning it. No matter my best efforts, whenever I buy a quart of buttermilk I always seem to be throwing out at least a cup. Now I'll know better thanks to you CW!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom