ISHBEL, authentic Irish Soda Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norgeskog

Washing Up
Ishbel, I have found a couple of recipes for this but is it really Irish and if so do you have a family recipe to share????

Thanks Ishbel and Michael, I will use a recipe for the bread. Looking forward to trying it. Ishbel, the one at the link you send is slightly different than the one from my local newspaper, which had cream of tarter and butter added. Interesting the differences, one has oil/butter the other not. I will probably do the one you sent me as it has no butter in it, rather put butter on warm bread.....

Darina Allen's a great cook. I visited her cookery school in Ballymaloe a few years back. I posted her version of an Irish Whiskey cake in the thread you started further down this forum. For some reason, it doesn't show that I posted a reply to your request... There are still a few glitches on this new-style board!

norgeskog said:
Thanks Ishbel and Michael, I will use a recipe for the bread. Looking forward to trying it. Ishbel, the one at the link you send is slightly different than the one from my local newspaper, which had cream of tarter and butter added. <snip>

the original recipes use buttermilk, this is acid enough to react with the baking soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) to produce the carbon dioxide needed for the rising. If you don't use buttermilk, you have to use another acid, like cream of tartar. HTH. The best bread I ever had was soda bread from Buncranna, Co Donegal.
cheers
Waaza

waaza said:
norgeskog said:
Thanks Ishbel and Michael, I will use a recipe for the bread. Looking forward to trying it. Ishbel, the one at the link you send is slightly different than the one from my local newspaper, which had cream of tarter and butter added. <snip>

the original recipes use buttermilk, this is acid enough to react with the baking soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) to produce the carbon dioxide needed for the rising. If you don't use buttermilk, you have to use another acid, like cream of tartar. HTH. The best bread I ever had was soda bread from Buncranna, Co Donegal.
cheers
Waaza

thanks Waaza, obviously I am not a pastry person.

BTW the recipe from Ishbel worked great. I used whole wheat bread flour and it was really great bread. I will make it again. It really tasted good warm from the oven with butter, along with the corned beef and colcannon.

Norkesgog
I love Darina Allen. If you ever see her Ballymaloe cookery book, buy it.... she is a great cook. And her teaching style is ace!

Ishbel said:
Norkesgog
I love Darina Allen. If you ever see her Ballymaloe cookery book, buy it.... she is a great cook. And her teaching style is ace!

Thanks Ishbel, I shall look for it, can you explain exactly what Ballymaloe cookery is??

I've attended a couple of courses there. She is a lovely woman - and such an 'instinctive' cook. As a mere amateur, I find her style of cooking very sympatico with mine!

thanks for the link ishbel. awww, i wish i'd known when she was here to do the morning show. i would have tried to get to meet her.

i love plain soda bread, warmed in the microwave, with melting butter. i'll have to try her recipe someday...

She's a great wumman, sosheis (as my Irish friends would say!) Well worth the meeting, Buckytom. :cool:

Ishbel said:
I've attended a couple of courses there. She is a lovely woman - and such an 'instinctive' cook. As a mere amateur, I find her style of cooking very sympatico with mine!

Lucky you Ishbel. Such a gorgeous setting in which to get lost in your thoughts and learning. I am wishing I could attend as well.

BTW, I think I got that last sentence a bit mixed up - so in case anyone thinks I'm downplaying Darina Allen's cooking - I meant: I'm the amateur cook, she's the great cook:mrgreen:

Ishbel said:
BTW, I think I got that last sentence a bit mixed up - so in case anyone thinks I'm downplaying Darina Allen's cooking - I meant: I'm the amateur cook, she's the great cook:mrgreen:

I bet you are a really good cook too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom