ISO Perfect Cornbread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jkath said:
Anyone have a TNT (tried and true) recipe for cornbread?
Yep!

Here's one more TnT recipe for cornbread. Like others have mentioned, cornbread tastes can get pretty personal and the personal preferences here at the mufin residence are for cornbread recipes that include buttermilk and get cooked in an iron skillet.

2 cups ground white cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 - 4 tablespoons light brown sugar, depending on taste
1 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups buttermilk
3/4 cup melted butter
1 egg

Preheat a well-seasoned cast iron skillet in a 450 degree F oven.

Combine the dry ingredients in a big bowl.

In another bowl combine the buttermilk, 1/2 cup of the melted butter, and the egg.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mixing just enough to combine everything.

Working quickly and carefully, remove the hot skillet from the oven and pour the remaining 1/4 cup melted butter into the skillet. Dump the batter into the hot skillet and bake for 22 +/- 2 minutes...

Enjoy!

Regards,
mrmufin

Southern Cornbread

2 cups self rising corn meal
¼ cup bacon drippings (may substitute liquid veg shortening)
1 ½ cups buttermilk

Heat oven to 450°, put shortening in cast iron skillet (or pan) and place in oven. Heat until very hot (needs to be smoking). Mix corn meal and buttermilk in bowl. When shortening is hot, pour it into cornmeal mix and stir. Pour batter into hot pan. Bake until crisp and done. (@ 20 minutes)

This is the recipe I grew up on in South Carolina made by my Mother who grew up in Georgia.

To add to the recipe:
Southern Cornbread Dressing

Cornbread – made from Southern cornbread recipe
Eight slices of bread, toasted very brown
8 oz of turkey/hen broth (chicken bouillon)
2-3 eggs
Sage to taste (@ ½ to 1 tbsp.)
Salt
Pepper
1 large grated onion

Crumble cornbread (called Southern Cornbread) and about eight slices of bread, toasted very brown, in large mixing bowl. Add turkey or hen broth (can use 8 oz of chicken bouillon), 2-3 eggs, sage to taste (@ ½ to 1 tbsp.), salt, pepper, and 1 large grated onion. Add enough hot water to make mixture “soupy”. Beat with electric mixer until smooth. Bake in hot oven (375) until center is fairly firm to touch, about 40 minutes. (Celery salt, toasted nuts, pecans, and/or oysters may be added.)

This is another of my Mother’s. Be very careful and make this almost a liquid but not quite….it has a tendency to be dry.

Liz

Gluten Free cornbread

Mexican Cornbread (Gluten-Free)

Copyright © 1995-2004
Scott Adams.
Ingredients:
2 eggs
1cup gluten-free sour cream
1 can gluten-free creamed corn
2/3 cup oil
1 ½ cornmeal
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon salt (or less)
1 cup cheese

Directions:
Bake in preheated oven at 400F for 35 minutes in 9" x 12"
pan or a hot iron skillet.

Cornbread #3 (Gluten-Free)

Copyright © 1995-2004
Scott Adams.
Ingredients:
1 cup yellow cornmeal
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup gluten-free sour cream
1 cup corn
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup shredded Cheddar

Directions:
Mix together all ingredients except Cheddar. Put half of
mixture into a greased 9" square pan. Sprinkle with cheese and cover with
remaining mixture. Bake at 375F degrees for 35 - 40 minutes.

PS...
Dumb question...
why baking soda in one and baking powder in the other..what difference will it make in the cornbread using one and not the other???

AllenMI said:
I've been making this recipe for years. It's out of "Thrill of the Grill" by Chris Schlesinger and John Willoughby. You can tell how much I like this recipe, as when you open the cookbook, it automatically opens to this recipe.

East Coast Grill Cornbread
yields: enough to fill a 10” cast iron skillet (thick),
or a 12” cast iron skillet (thin)
Oven @ 350°F

2 c all-purpose flour
1 c corn meal
¾ c sugar
½ t salt
1 T baking powder
2 eggs
1 ½ c milk
4 t vegetable oil
½ c melted butter

Muffin method. Sift together the dry ingredients. In a separate container, mix together the liquid ingredients. All at once, add the liquids to the dry and mix just until combined. Incorporate butter after liquids. Bake @ 350°F for 40 - 45 minutes in preheated, greased cast iron skillet.

Am I to understand that you cook it in a skillet but it is cooked in the oven? :cool:

Thanks

mrmufin said:
Yep!

2 cups ground white cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Since I make my own flour(s) I have to ask, is your recommendation of "ground white cornmeal" 100% corn, just a white variety?

Dove said:
PS...
Dumb question...
why baking soda in one and baking powder in the other..what difference will it make in the cornbread using one and not the other???

Baking powder has cream of tartar in it. Cream of tartar does not react with liquid, it doesn't react until it hits the heat...

BrianMorin said:
Am I to understand that you cook it in a skillet but it is cooked in the oven? :cool:

Thanks

Yes. You use a skillet in place of a cake pan.

This is a very tasty cornbread. I like it a lot.

PS: The skillet does not have to be cast iron. I make it with a SS All-Clad 10" skillet.

Andy M. said:
Yes. You use a skillet in place of a cake pan.

This is a very tasty cornbread. I like it a lot.

PS: The skillet does not have to be cast iron. I make it with a SS All-Clad 10" skillet.

Thanks Andy. I'm looking forward to trying this out...

My Favourite recipe is

Diane’s Corn Bread​

3 C yellow cornmeal
1 C unbleached all-purpose flour or Bread Flour
2 T sugar
4 t baking powder
1 t salt
2 large eggs
2 C milk
Combine all dry ingredients, in a sifter and sift. Add eggs and enough milk to make a thin batter. In a skillet melt a quarter of a cup of butter. Pour the batter over the butter and bake at 400º for about 15-20 minutes.

Since I turned Vegan I guess I will have to modify this a little.

But When I cook at the eagles I use the Marie Calandar's Clone Recipe in Top Secret Restaurant Recipes By Todd Wilbur

1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
3/4 C cornmeal
2 t baking powder
1/3 C sugar
3/4 t salt
1 1/4 C milk
1/4 C shortening
1 egg

1/3 C honey

1 Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2 Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar and salt in a medium bowl.
3 Add the milk, shortening, and egg and mix only until all the ingredients are well combined.
4 Pour the batter into a greased 8X8-inch pan
5 Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let the cornbresd cool slightly before slicing it with a sharp knife into 9 pieces.
6 For the honeyButter, use a mixer on high speed to whip the butter and honey together until smooth and fluffy.

I guess I will have to make some cornbread aslo - sounds so yummy.

Here's one for the nuts and berries crowd, ie, if you like Jiffy's Corn Bread Mix, you will not like this, and there is a reason Jiffy's only costs $.41...:dry:

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 t. salt
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
2 to 4 T. melted lard, bacon fat or butter
1 to 4 T. sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Blend wet ingredients in med bowl. Pour dry into wet and stir until JUST mixed, do not overmix. Pour into greased 8 inch square pan and bake at 400 degrees F for about 20 minutes. This is excellent plopped in a bowl of thin bean soup.

bethzaring, Sorry I can't give you karma for this one. I have to give out more. I havn't put this in my mouth yet but it looks great!

:-p

Last edited:
Hi bethzaring;

Just finished supper, butternut squash gnochi and bethzaring corn bread. Well I think I got some good karma from my wife Suzanne. Thanks

lindaTn said:
so many recipes, so little time.........
:chef:

It's not so bad, I just try to do 2 or three a day... Not! :LOL:

But I must say there are a lot of good recipies on this forum. It's amazing. Good conversations, good wine... You are drinking wine while you type aren't you?

joy of cooking has a great one...corn meal, buttermilk, bacon, baking powder. real simple...cooks up crisp and ready for butter or chili or or a mess of greens. This is not sweet muffiny stuff but a "dry" corn bread of real southern extraction.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom