It is Now Clear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've heard that Hungry Jack is good, as well as Target brand.

Since I'm getting out a mixing bowl anyway and have all of the ingredients, it only takes a minute or two more to make from scratch. I can see if people don't bake and don't have the ingredients on hand, how this would be just plain convenient.

I've just never had a mix that is good as scratch.
I've been following Nigella Lawson's tip and keeping my homemade dry mix in a screw top jar in the 'fridge so I can scoop out what I want, add a suitable amount of the liquid mix and make enough for however many people I'm catering for (or just enough for me).

As Bakechef says, it doesn't take any longer to mix from scratch and if you already have the dry mix in the 'fridge it takes even less time. Plus, you know what went in there!

This recipe is what we use at home. I've never given it to anyone that didn't love it, except my pal - CharlieD, who has his own beloved recipe. I'm not using it here, on vacation in Southern Cal., as my inlaws seem to enjoy the boxed mix, and the boxed mac & Cheese, and the pre-cooked bacon, and the TV dinners, and the... you get the idea. You've probably seen this recipe here in DC before, but just in case you haven't, give it a try.:mrgreen:

The Chief's Best Pancakes

These pancakes come out so moist and light that you will never buy a pancake mix again. Enjoy them.

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbs. Sugar
½ tsp. Salt
1 tbs. Double Acting Baking Powder

Wet Ingredients:
3/4 cup milk
1 large Egg
3 tbs. Cooking oil

Preheat the griddle. Place the dry ingredients into a large bowl and stir together with a wire whisk or mixing spoon. Add the remaining ingredients and again stir until mixed. Do not stir until all the lumps are gone as this will over-mix the batter. There should be small lumps. These will disapear while cooking the pancakes.
Cook over medium heat until the bubbles close slowly as they rise and pop. Do not cook until the bubbles stay open as this will dry out the pancake. And most importantly, Don’t squish them down with your cake turner or spatula. When they are ready to flip, turn them over and cook for about 1 minute more. Remove from the pan and serve immediately. If you must cook up enough for a bunch of people, keep them warm by stacking in a large-rectangular cake pan and placing the pan into a 120' oven covered with a clean kitchen towel cover.
You can add blueberries to the uncooked batter without changing anything else. However, if you add acidic fruits such as strawberries, raspberries, or pineapple, you will need to add ½ tsp. Baking soda to the batter to balance the acid from the fruit.
The above recipe makes enough pancakes for two people. Yo can easily enlarge the recipe by simply multiplying the ingredients by the same number. That is, if you double the flour, multiply all other ingredients by two.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Chief, could I cook these, cool them and then freeze them for a few days? I have to do brunch for upwards of 24 people and I can't be cooking that many pancakes on the day.

That is where my pancakes come into play. YOu can make my pancakes a week in advance, do not have to freeze them just warm up before serving and you will be fine. As fresh and as yummy as new.

I've been following Nigella Lawson's tip and keeping my homemade dry mix in a screw top jar in the 'fridge so I can scoop out what I want, add a suitable amount of the liquid mix and make enough for however many people I'm catering for (or just enough for me).

As Bakechef says, it doesn't take any longer to mix from scratch and if you already have the dry mix in the 'fridge it takes even less time. Plus, you know what went in there!

I had a friend that always had an all purpose type baking mix at the ready. Quite convenient!

This practice was quite popular during the late 50's and early 60's. Hmmm, I have an empty gallon jug. :angel:

With my recipe, before a camping trip, we would put together the dry ingredients, and add sufficient powdered eggs and powdered milk, with the correct amount of cooking oil (three tbs. per cup of flour) so that when we camping, we only needed to add water to get the same pancakes I make at home. The technique worked great.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

i learned how to make pancakes from a concoction like you described with the scouts, chief.

when you start to see several bubbles coming up through the batter, it's time to flip them.

I had a friend that always had an all purpose type baking mix at the ready. Quite convenient!
There are a lot of things that I'll make extra "mixes" for whenever I need to bake a batch from the beginning. If it's pancakes, scones, quick-bake things like that, I'll line up the bowl for that batch along with a couple old rectangular Tupperware containers. As I sift, measure, and dump, it's one for the bowl and one each for the containers, Hint: if a recipe uses brown sugar when you're mixing the flour/salt/baking powder/etc, DON'T put it in! The other dry ingredients suck the moisture right out of it. The one time I made up an extra batch of dry stuff for a batch of gingerbread scones I had a brown rock lump in with the flour. Couldn't break it up to save my live, so I ended up throwing that batch out. :(

i learned how to make pancakes from a concoction like you described with the scouts, chief.

when you start to see several bubbles coming up through the batter, it's time to flip them.

That's how I learned. Bubbles are telling you to flip! :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom