Lemon poppy seed loaf. :[

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nautaflcl

Assistant Cook
So, I just made it, and i'm ok i guess, but i didn't turn out perfect:[
hah.
Well see, it came out hard on the surfaces all around, and that just doesn't seem how the loaf on there looks nor do i think it's supposed to come out like that anyways.
Does anyone have any clue what i did wrong?
I used energ egg replacer and splenda to substitute the eggs and sugar.
I think I just over baked, but i want to be sure, any help?
I also baked some strawberry bread awhile ago and the same happened. :{
any ideas?
if you go to joyofbaking.com and go to quick breads and lemon poppy seed bread, that's the one. sorry i can't post links yet, please help??

thank you.

Did you cut into it. How is it inside?
Maybe your oven, as many have asked here in the past, is not calibrated, too hot. I would check that 1st.
But the recipe said if it was browning too fast, after 30 mins. cover with buttered foil. Did you (have to) do that?

I have a recipe for Lemon poppyseed cake, with a Lemon glaze for a bundt pan. It only cooks for 45 minutes. I haven't made many in years as I need several days off work after, due to the poppyseeds. If I get a random drug test, the poppyseeds can cause a positive result.
But the recipe is yum. And has never failed.

2 thoughts (besides what quicksilver said):
More often than not, the breads like this taste better on day 2. Also, if it's dry, poke dozens of little holes on the top with a bamboo skewer and pour on a glaze. Easiest one is to heat lemon juice and sugar till they've mixed well and the sugar is melted. I've never worked with splenda, but am assuming you could make glaze with it.

Easier yet - if it's dry, but has a decent taste, use it as the bottom layer of your dessert. Put one slice, top with a splash of good liquer, then some fruit, then whipped cream.

I like the looks of this one.
It's different from the one you used, the Joy Of Baking.
I've gotta read 'em both better to see.
I wouldn't use the splenda or the egg sub because I don't know how they work and baking is so exact, I would be guessing without real knowledge.
By looking at them both, there are differences.
Your's used milk, 3 eggs and 3/4 c sugar.
The one I chose is 1 egg, 1/2 c sugar and water, no milk.
Wonder if that had anything to do with it.
Also, did you by chance use a really dark metal baking dish/loaf pan?
Like Bakers Secret? I ask because they [in my opinion] tend to make baked goods darker and darker faster too.
I prefer a glass or corning ware type.

Just wondering if anyone knows where recipes are posted? If someone talks about a lemon poppyseed cake, is it posted somewhere on another link of this page? Or do i just ask if they will share?

Sorry, I am new at this;-)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom