Mrs Flaherty's Blueberry Loaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

subrosa

Assistant Cook
Mrs Flaherty's Blueberry Loaf - This recipe for blueberry loaf cake calls for 4 cups flour and 5 tsp of baking powder. Doesn't that seem like a lot of baking powder? It uses Rogers Golden Syrup (1/4 cup) if that makes a difference. Has anyone tried this recipe?

With 4 cups of flour, along with other ingredients, that doesn't seem like too much. I have a blueberry cake recipe that has 2 cups of flour and 3 tsp of baking powder.

Maybe you are just not used to seeing that much baking powder in a recipe. With 4 cups of flour, this is probably quite a bit of batter.

You're probably right, bakechef; most recipes I make only call for 2 cups or so of flour. I was concerned that you would be able to taste the baking powder. Thanks for your quick reply.

I use aluminum free baking powder like Rumford or Argo, they are less likely to impart an unpleasant flavor in baked goods that have a lot of baking powder in them.

Not sure if those brands are available in Canada but I checked the label on Magic Baking Powder (the one I use) and the ingredients are listed as corn starch, monocalcium phosphate, sodium bicarbonate so it should be okay. I had not heard about the aluminum/taste issue so that's a good thing to know.

Back
Top Bottom