Waffles for Fried Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
A couple of nights back, I was in the mood for fried chicken, using the oven-fry method that works so well. I made my seasoned flour mixture, and an egg wash, and fried the chicken. With the leftover flour, and the egg wash, I made a batter and used a spoon to fry it in hot oil, seasoned funnel cakes was the result and they were wonderful. But I was thinking, chicken and funnel cakes isn't something well known. I thought about it for a moment, and decided that next time, I will make chicken and waffles. Here's the recipe for the seasoned flour, and for the waffles. I know they will be great as they are based on T&T waffles, only with seasoning that is now T&T as well. I invite you to try them next time you make fried chicken.

Seasoned Flour
Recipe 1: I'm going to name this one - Goodweed's Bull Dog Chicken
Preheat the oven to 375' F.
In a bowl, combine the following with a wire whisk.
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic powder
1/8 tsp. powdered ginger
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/4 tsp. rubbed sage
1/4 tsp. ground thyme
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. tumeric
1/8 tsp. red pepper
1 dash Chinese 5-spice powder
1/8 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. granulated onion powder

In a seperate bowl, make an egg-wash from 1 large egg whisked with 1/2 cup milk. Whisk until smooth. Dip the chicken into the egg wash to completely coat. Dredge in the seasoned flour. Fry in three inches of oil until lightly browned on both sides. Place on a cookie sheet and roast at 375 degrees F., for twenty minutes. Serve.

For waffles, combine 2 tsp. baking powder, and two tbs. sugar to the seasoned flour, add the egg wash and enough extra milk to make a batter with the same consistency as waffle batter. Oil the grids of your waffle iron and cook you waffles. Place on a cooling rack to keep them from getting soggy. Serve with butter, and syrup, alongside the chicken.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited by a moderator:
Just pour the batter on the floor and run over it with hot sneakers :yum:

For that, you have to be incredibly hot, like me (I'm in front of a fan, or in an air conditioned space all the time in the summer) so that you can heat up the sneakers.

I'll leave it to B.T. to describe the other kind of hot.;)

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I love the combination of chicken and waffles. There is a place on the other side of town that puts a little cinnamon and maybe nutmeg in theirs, the waffle isn't sweet, but goes so well with their fried chicken.

This savory spin sounds fantastic

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Back
Top Bottom