Why does my banana bread sink?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrazyMomma

Assistant Cook
Why does my banana bread always sink? I followed the recipe to a "t" and while it tastes good, it doesn't look great. How do you get that nice little peak on top like you see in the bakery?

mine also sinks a bits, is nice and moist and very banana-y. everyone loves it as do I. When I've gotten a rise that stays, it's been because I was short of mashed banana and the bread was drier and had less flavor.

but let's see what others say.

When it falls after taking it out of the oven, it means one of two things:

First, the batter could be too wet going into the oven - and just the state of the banana could be making the difference, even with you following the recipe exactly. A ripe banana (some dark spots) is mushier (more available free liquid) than a semi-ripe banana. And humidity can also throw things out of whack when combined with a ripe banana. A dash more flour helps in a case like that.

Second, I don't depend on the precise time the recipe calls for baking. I test the center with a skewer or long tooth pick, and when it pulls out clean, I sometimes give it an extra minute or two just to be certain it has set. An old time trick is to turn off the oven, open the oven door, slide out the wire rack with the bread at the front edge, and let it adjust to the room temperature while hanging out the front of the oven. It makes for a hotter kitchen, but in the winter time, it's welcomed, and prevents falling.

Thanks to everyone for your help! I will give it a go again soon making some adjustments based on these suggestions!

If you continue to have bad luck with this, maybe try a different recipe? If your bread always sinks, it could be the recipe that's the problem. :)

Baking 911 answered my issue. But I like my banana bread with lots of banana so I will continue to not follow the directions.

I have a banana, date and sultana "bread" in the oven just now. I will see if it sinks or not. I domed it though to counter that possibility and it is still in that shape with only another minute or two to go.

Back
Top Bottom