Why is my banana bread so pale?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meixing

Assistant Cook
Hi there! I'm new to the forum, and also a newbie to baking, but it's definitely a favorite hobby of mine.

I recently tried baking banana bread, and followed this recipe: Banana Bread Recipe | Simply Recipes

The only thing I changed was using baking powder instead of baking soda.

The bread tasted fine, but it was so pale! It was a pale yellow color. I thought banana bread was supposed to be brownish (as in the picture in the link). Why was my loaf so different? I guess it's not a big problem, but it's just not as aesthetically pleasing.

I don't know why yours is pale in color. Normally it's the sugar and banana that turns the crust brown while being baked (carmelization). Did you bake it at 350 for the entire hour?

Baking powder and baking soda are not interchangeable. It's important not to switch them! They do different things even thought they have the word "baking" in their title. Baking powder gives "lift" to dough or batter after it begins to bake by reacting to the heat of the oven and then creates CO2 gas.

Baking soda reacts with acids, such as vinegar, milk, yogurt, etc. to generate CO2 gas, giving "lift" to dough or batter just as soon as they are mixed together.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom