Easy Homemade Puff Pastry Dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a neutral puff pasty dough, it suits as good as both sweet and savoury preparations.
However, if you want it slightly sweet, you can add 1 teaspoon of sugar to the sifted flour and mix well. Ditto for the savoury one, add a teaspoon of salt.
You can also use wholemeal or gluten-free flour, depending on your necessity, by replacing white flour completely or half and half.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doses for 3 ounces of puff pastry.
(Quantity suitable for making 1 savoury tart)

Preparation time 40 mins

• 100 g frozen unsalted butter
  • 175 g Italian flour 00 or 0 or Plain flour/All Purpose flour
  • cold water, to taste

Method

Freeze the butter.

Wrap it butter in aluminium foil and place it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
Only if it is well hardened it can be grated without problems.
Flour should always be sifted. Sieve it and let it fall into a large and capacious bowl.

By sifting the flour and letting it fall from above, we will be able to incorporate all the air that the dough will need to swell during cooking.

Take off butter from the freezer, be careful to take it from the side of the aluminium foil because the heat from fingers would melt it easily.
Keep the grater dipped directly into the flour and start grating the butter, so that the butter will not stick to it.

While you’re grating the butter, start stirring the ingredients until you get a rather lumpy mixture.

Tips: try not using hands in this phase because they would melt the butter compromising the result.

Add a tablespoon of cold tap water. Start with just a tablespoon, keep working the dough with a spatula as if you’d cut it rather than mix it. Add water until the mixture begins to compact, but without being sticky.

Now use your hands. Quickly, form a ball. A little more water may be needed if the dough should crumble.

As soon as the dough is ready, wrap it in clingfilm or in a food plastic bag and store it in the fridge at least 30 mins.

Now it’s ready to be rolled out by using two sheets of baking paper so that you can roll it out better.

Attachments

• Puff Pastry dough.jpg
    Puff Pastry dough.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Impasto sfogliato puff pastry.jpg
    Impasto sfogliato puff pastry.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 178
Sounds easy enough. Any suggestions for how to hold the frozen butter without melting it with heat from fingers? Wear an oven mitt?

Ah I don't know about oven mitt, I've simply kept the butter on the side of the aluminum foil as I wrote in the recipe, but who knows, we should also try other methods :)

So with your recipe you've just made basic pastry dough. Which you could use for anything ... apple pie, chicken pot pie, empanadas, etc.

Puff pastry must be laminated using a fairly elaborate process. Do you have instructions for that?

Roll the cold dough into a rectangle. Spread on a layer of butter. Chill to solidify the better. Take out and flold one end to the center of the rectangle. Fold the other end over the top.
Reprat. Chillfor 45 minutes. Repeat. Chill45 minutes. Repeat. You repeat until you have folded, and rolled out the dough 7 tmes, with two fold and rolls each time you remove the chilled dough from the gridge. Resting the dough in the fridge each time allows the dogh to relax, and keeps the butter cold, and from homogenizing into the pastry.

Seeerya; Chief Longwind of the North

Roll the cold dough into a rectangle. Spread on a layer of butter. Chill to solidify the better. Take out and flold one end to the center of the rectangle. Fold the other end over the top.
Reprat. Chillfor 45 minutes. Repeat. Chill45 minutes. Repeat. You repeat until you have folded, and rolled out the dough 7 tmes, with two fold and rolls each time you remove the chilled dough from the gridge. Resting the dough in the fridge each time allows the dogh to relax, and keeps the butter cold, and from homogenizing into the pastry.

Seeerya; Chief Longwind of the North

Now, it doesn't qualify as "easy" puff pastry. ;)

The only easy puff pastry dough I know of is made by a machine, like a pasta roller, or purchased raw, and pre-made. I think a pasta roller would work great. I don't have one though. So I don't know for sure.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

The only easy puff pastry dough I know of is made by a machine, like a pasta roller, or purchased raw, and pre-made. I think a pasta roller would work great. I don't have one though. So I don't know for sure.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I don't think there is an easy puff pastry.

The title of this thread is "Easy Homemade Puff Pastry Dough". Maybe the original poster has an easier way to handle it.

Yep, I know puff pastry has an elaborated process and I always failed with it, I've tried this and it worked.

Oh sorry if I've caused confusion with 'easy', I just thought it might be something that diversified it from the classic and alas more complicated puff pastry

Oh sorry if I've caused confusion with 'easy', I just thought it might be something that diversified it from the classic and alas more complicated puff pastry
It's okay. We call this pie dough or flaky pastry, to differentiate it from puff pastry. I tried making croissants once - just once [emoji38] It's way too much work for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom