Homemade Bread Using Your Food Processor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aria

Sous Chef
Great Homemade Bread Using Your Food Processor. You can use any recipe.
Place all your dry ingredients in your food processor
Pour the water through the feed tube
Process the dough for a total of 45 seconds. Remove dough from the processor and place in a large UNGREASED bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow the dough to ferment for
1 1/2 to 2 hours at room temperature 70-72 degrees. It will increase in volume somewhat,but don't be concerned by how much. Turn dough on lightly floured work surface. Divide dough..bread, rolls. let rest 30 40 minutes. Bake. Any questions?

Making Bread in Food Processor: water lukewarm. Combined temp of water and flour temp 130F. When the dough is mixed temp 75-80 degrees.
That is the secret of making bread. Questions?

Aria said:
Great Homemade Bread Using Your Food Processor. You can use any recipe.
Place all your dry ingredients in your food processor
Pour the water through the feed tube
Process the dough for a total of 45 seconds. Remove dough from the processor and place in a large UNGREASED bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow the dough to ferment for
1 1/2 to 2 hours at room temperature 70-72 degrees. It will increase in volume somewhat,but don't be concerned by how much. Turn dough on lightly floured work surface. Divide dough..bread, rolls. let rest 30 40 minutes. Bake. Any questions?
Might try this, (not a baker-noluck) at what temp. do you make at ? Thanks

This is a great way to make bread. I finally bought a food processor this fall and it contained a recipe for Artisan Bread. It's fantastic and easy:

1# All purpose unbleached flour
2t fine sea salt
10 oz warm water (take temp of flour and subtract from 140 this is what your water tem should be 140-65 degree flour= 75 degree water)
1 pack instant yeast

Put dry ingrd. into cup. With machine on pour in water and process for 45 seconds.
Place into ungreased bowl for 1.5 to 2 hours.
Place on lightly floured cutting board and cut in half. Shape into rounds and let rise for 1 hour covered with plastic wrap.

Preheat oven to 475 with baking stone in oven
In oven proof pan bring 2 cups H20 to boil.

When risen cut cross marks into the top of loaves place on a pizza peel dusted with corn meal. Place loaves onbaking stone and place the pan of water on bottom of oven. Reduce heat to 450 degrees and bake for 20 -30 minutes until deep mahogany brown.

I have also made flavored breads by adding sliced kalamata olives, leeks or chipotles to the dry prior to adding water. I have the Cuisinart with a dough speed on it as well as a dough blade. I don't know if that makes any difference.

JDP

Last edited:
JDP..Yes it does make a difference. A small one. Combined temperatures of the water and flour give a base temperature of 130 F if using a Cusinart or KitchenAid or 150 F if using a Braun. A rule if you want a HARD crust bake at
425 for first 15 minutes. Then lower to 400 and cook for another 15 minutes.

Sweet Breads can be made in the Food Processor also. In fact ANY yeast
recipe you have. A sweet dough should be baked at a lower temp 350

1. Use the food processor fitted with the metal blade to mix and knead dough
2. Be precise in measuring all ingredients.

3. Use instant yeast for ease of handling and superb results.

4. The temperature of the water is lukewarm not ice cold. The water temp must be calculated based on the temp of the flour being used. Use the 130 and the 75 - 80 for the processed dough. That is the magic for mixing dough in the food processor.
5. Mix the dough for 45 sec. This short mixing time is designed not to overmix the dough.
6. Careful measurements of the finished dough temperature ensures excellent result. An instant-read thermometer is one of the baker's better friends.
7.Time equals taste or fermentation equals flavor. Learn to understand the desirability of a lengthy,rise to produce flavorful breads.
8.Bake at the recommended oven temp and steam the oven to create crackling crust on breads.

Making your own bread is easy with the food processor.

Aria do you have any sweet bread recipes? I have never been a baker but now it is kind of fun.

Merry Christmas,

JDP

JDP..This is a Sweet Dough and with this recipe you can make 2 large rings.
And would be super for Holiday. Made into a Wreath Shape:
1 1/2 cup milk 3/4 cup sugar 3 packs instant yeast 1 1/2 tsp salt
3eggs 3/4 cup shortening 7 1/2 cups flour. I usually make 1/2 the recipe(fits better in the Cusinart Processor) . Follow the usual processor procedure. After rise time in ungreased bowl covered with plastic wrap. Roll 9 x 18 sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar 2 tsp cinnamon 2 tsp butter. Roll like a jelly roll. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Cut with a scissors almost through..and twist each cut section. You can create your own twist. May take 30 minutes to rise. Bake 375 20-30 minutes. When cool decorate: confection sugar l cup with 4tsp water and little lemon juice...to make icing. Place marachino cherries and walnuts on top.

Last edited:
JDP..Sweet Dough Cinnamon Buns 2 cups milk 3 packs instant yeast
1 tablespoons sugar 6 tablespoons canola oil 2 eggs 7 cups of flour
Do the food processor procedure. (DOUGH SHOULD NOT BE STICKY).
Cut dough in half
Roll rectangle 1/4 inch think
Spread with 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup raisins
Roll like a jelly roll. Make cuts one inch thick..with string
Place close together in pan. Let rise. Bake 375 about 20 minutes
Make icing l cup confectionery sugar 4 tsp milk or water and extract lemon or vanilla. Questions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Arai thank you and I can't wait to try both those recipes. Just a quick clarification. On the first recipe you put 3 packs instant yeast twice. I assume you accidently repeated that.

Merry Christmas,

JDP

Please Note: In my recipe for Sweet Dough....it is 3 packs of dry yeast.
Sorry. Typing error.

Aria I'm fairly new at this too, but you can go to your original post and hit edit and make the correction...no harm no foul :)

JDP

JDP said:
Aria I'm fairly new at this too, but you can go to your original post and hit edit and make the correction...no harm no foul :)

JDP

LOL - thanks for the lesson in editing. I did it already not knowing if it would actually get done - I would hate for someone to read the info thinking that was the way to make this.

Basic Pizza Dough (follow the directions Homemade Bread Using Your Food Processor
3-1/3 to 4 cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 tsp.instant yeast
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons water
use cornmeal for the peel or baking sheet
Enough dough for three 10-inch pizzas or focaccia
2-1/2 to 3 hours fermentation Questions?

Many long years ago, before my BM I made mine in the processor with great success also. Used my MW to let it rise, no drafts. I had almost forgotten. I may try it again.

bevkile....Yes any yeast recipe can be made in your Food Processor. Here is one of my favorite Italian Bread recipes:
1-1/2 cups water (85-105 degree...warm water always with yeast)
1 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon yeast
3-1/2 cups Bread Flour
Put all dry ingredients in your Food Processor...addd warm water. Pulse
45 seconds (or until dough forms a ball) Place in bowl (no grease) cover with plastic wrap 30 minutes.

Roll out shape(place on cookie sheet) cover with plastic let rise 1 hour.

heat 375 degree oven middle rack 25 minutes until golden brown.

(you can check my first thread on Great Homemade Bread Using Your Food Processor). Or ...questions? It is simple and easy and we have Homemade bread...different varieties daily. No store bought.

I've been making bread - all kinds of different breads - with my KitchenAid mixer for 11 years without any problems. All kinds of bread - easy as pie, cleanup included. That said, old dogs CAN be taught new tricks & I'll try the food processor method next time around.

However - one question. How do you "proof" your yeast? Or do you just keep your fingers crossed that it's alive? That part I'd find difficult to do as I'd hate to have to toss out an entire load of bread dough because for whatever reason the yeast was bad.

Breezy Cooking...I buy my yeast in bulk at a Health Food Store or Farmer's Co-op a large quantity in a plastic container (like l cup tupperware with lid)
and I store in back of my refrigerator. I have had my yeast over l year...no problem. If you want to feel comfortable...test some first.

To be sure you could put a small amount of yeast (1/2 teaspoon) in a glass of warm water and watch it foam? I usually don't use yeast during our summer months in the North East. The yeast sits in my refrigerator and is ready come Fall when I usually bake yeast products. NEVER had bad yeast.
I purchase in a store where Yeast "moves" and it goes from the store fresh,
to my refrigerator.

I have a kitchen aid mixer with a bread hook. The Processor makes BETTER
BREAD for me. Quick EASY....all dry...then warm water...45 sec pulse.

licia, thanks for your comment. I love to bake bread and yeast things and have spent many years learning. And as a College Art Teacher...I enjoy passing on what I have learned over the years to my friends,students and associates.

Yes, I guess I would proof mine first. I made one batch of Italian bread once where, in a hurry, I didn't bother proofing the yeast, & even though it was far from the expiration date, my loaves came out fairly flat. I'm sure the water temp was fine, etc., so just think that particular yeast packet was past its prime.

I baked the bread anyway & it did come out tasting good - just more like long narrow foccacia than Italian loaves - lol!!!!!

Since then, I always proof the yeast first.

Back
Top Bottom