A fast Sourdough French loaf...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldcoot

Senior Cook
Last evening I made a batter for sourdough to test a new yeast called "Rise".

One cup water, one cup AP flour, one package yeast, blended quickly using an immersion blender ("boat motor" as Emeril would say) in a bowl, then covered with a plate. (Room temp - low 70's) By mid morning today it had already developed a nice, clean, strong sour aroma. Now that's fast: normally it has taken 2 1/2 to 3 days!

So I decided to make a French sourdough baguette. About 10 a.m. I scraped the starter into the KA mixing bowl, dumped in 2 cups of AP flour and a tespoonful of table salt, and turned the mixier on (with dough hook) at speed 2 for 10 minutes.

Great feel to the dough: smooth, soft, elastic, and sort of spongy.

Rolled that into a 14-15 inch long cylinger - about 1 1/4 inchies in diameter, put it on a sheet pan sprinkled with corn meal, and set it outside in the sun. Cloudy day, temp in the very low 70's. But I figured the suns "far infrared" would penetrate the cloud cover and warm the dough.

In a mere 20 minutes the dough had doubled - and a bit more!

It went into a 400 F oven for about 20 minutes, until light golden brown. Halfway through I spritzed it with water from B/W's spray bottle for her orchids.

Then I enjoyed a couple of chunks of French sourdough (hard, crisp crust, light, tender innards, nice clean sour flavor) with a bowl of minestrone and a glass of Chianti for lunch at 12.

Less than two hours, start to finish. Doggone it, that's fast! And only about 10 hours to sour the starter. That's fast, too.

Wonder if I can do that again?

Last edited:
I sure hope this will work for me..It sounds wonderful..I love making bread, but, making sourdough has been a bust for me..Thanks so much for sharing.

kadesma:)

Kadesma, check the "I'm stumped" post - you may have a yeast problem. If your sourdough starter doesn't smell right, that may be the problem.

Keep in mind that the first yeast-leavened bread was a sourdough, and that "fresh" yeast has been available for only about the last century. So if those early bakers could do it, any of us should be able to.

Good luck!!!

Thanks OC,

I'll check that post. Could be, I've had all kinds of mess with my starter, pink color YUK, smell was horrid..So It's possible it's the yeast..Thanks.
kadesma:)

Oldcoot, I just mixed up your starter and can't wait to see the results tomorrow morning. I hope they're as good as yours. I'm using Fleischman's yeast and my room temp is cooler than yours was--will probably drop to mid 60s overnight--so we'll see what happens!

Oldcoot, I'd say your method is a keeper! After sitting for about 12 hours, my starter was very bubbly and had a nice sour smell to it. I had to add about 1 tsp of water when I put my dough in the KA as it was a little too dry, but after that, I, too had a nice smooth and elastic dough. I let mine rise for 30 minutes only because I got involved in doing something else, but I'm sure it would have been ready sooner. The only thing I didn't do that you did was spray the bread at 10 minutes--I couldn't find my spray bottle anywhere! I

Overall I was pleased with the results. I like my sourdough pretty tangy and this wasn't too sour, but the texture (soft, tender, yet dense) made up for it. It made a great sandwich for lunch!

Back
Top Bottom