High altitude flour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old Butcher

Assistant Cook
I recently bought some 'High Altitude Flour' thinking it might help me at 6,200 feet. Then I realized there is nothing on the label telling what is so special about it. Anyone have experience with this Hungarian Ground High Altitude Flour?:ermm:

No experience, but some folks who test flours point out that it's in no way better or worse for baking at altitude. The "high altitude" refers to the wheat from which it's made having been grown at higher altitudes.

Other than that, all I know that can be done with the flour for bread baking in the mountains is to use a bit more flour than called for or a higher protein flour to toughen the dough some, due to the lower pressure at altitude. So, if it's a bread flour, it might do a little better than APF.

Old Butcher said:
I recently bought some 'High Altitude Flour' thinking it might help me at 6,200 feet. Then I realized there is nothing on the label telling what is so special about it. Anyone have experience with this Hungarian Ground High Altitude Flour?:ermm:

I have used it before, and have found it to be no different from any other AP flour.

Back
Top Bottom