Isn't my starter already mature, but why pickup so slow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chueh

Senior Cook
My starter took about 7 days to mature (doubled in size within 24 hours).

Because there are only 2 people in my household. After the starter reached its maturity, I froze it. Thus, i refrost in the frdge and feed it before I need to bake. I have been doing this way for at least 3-4 times feeding it twice for every 12 hours.

However, it's nothing like every tutorial for bread making on Youtube. Their starters all bublle up 3x with 4-5 hours.......... Why not mine:(

Please advise

The starter, after being frozen, needs to come back up to room temperature to begin it's work. Yeast is a living organism, and requires moisture, temperature, and food. Also, adding just a bit of diastatic malt will give the starter more food to munch on, and add flavor as well.

Many people just store their starter in a covered crock, leaving it at room temperature all of the time. They feed it regularly and use it frequently. This is necessary because as the yeast eats the sugars, and starches, it gives of acids, hence the sour flavor in sour dough. Though wild yeast is more tolerant of acidic environments, it too can only survive up to certain acid levels. By using the starter frequently, you dilute the acid when you feed it again.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom