ISO Sour dough bread help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragontaboo

Assistant Cook
I have found a recipe for the starter but the preparation for the bread was not clear. Do any of you got a recipe that works?:mellow:

At leaste for the bread.

Here is th recipie it gave me:

1 package of dry yeast
1/2 cup of warm water
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon of suger or honey

I recently purchased a starter from King Arthur Flour and had pretty good results with it.

To prep I do the following.
Prior to making the bread I discard half the starter and add 1/2 cup water 1 cup flour.
Next let it sit out for about half a day.
This gets the starter nice and bubbly.

Use whatever the recipe calls for in regards to starter and feed the remainder of the starter with 1/2 cup of water and 1 cup flour.

King Arthur (where I bought my starter from) suggests the following recipe.
1 cup starter
1 1/2 cup warm water
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. instant yeast
5 cups unbleached all purpose flour

combine the ingredients and let it rise until doubled ~ 90 mins

divide the dough into 2 halves. Cover and let rise on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. ~ 60 mins. Slash the tops and bake at 425 deg. for 30 mins.

I tried baking on the pizza stone and burned the bottom of the bread. I only tried this because I am used to baking my breads at 500+ degrees and this recipe I found was a little low.

I baked the 2nd loaf on one of my perforated curved bread trays (like what subway uses) and 500 degrees and it came out perfect.

Here is a pic of my last sourdough bread.

Attachments

• IMG_1922.jpg
    IMG_1922.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 352
it's tricky.........you've got to control the environment............I've tried in KZ and there's too much junk in the air........from what I've read it's best to get a good commercial sourdough yeast starter....that can be ordered online...be sure to look at the expiration dates if your local specialty stores carry it, though...........the others who have posted so far look great, too...........good luck

This is my tried and true recipe for sourdough bread:
1/2 cup starter
3/4 luke warm water
1 T oil
1 T sugar
1 t salt
3 cups flour
2 t yeast
(Makes about a 1 1/2 pound loaf)

I cheat and use a bread machine. I need it twice or sometimes three times to get a thicker crust.

ExPatGirl is right. The sourdough you get will depend on your location. That delicious sourdough bread from San Francisco is unique to that area. But I have found any sourdough bread (if not contaminated) is better than just plain white French bread.

An easy and fast way to create a sourdough starter is not to use commercial yeast. Find some grapes, and spin them in the food processor, combine this with a cup of flour and a cup of water. Let sit for 2 days until it starts to bubble. You may have to be patient, it may take longer, but check every day and when you start to notice a sour smell, feed with another cup of flour and another cup of water. This works best with Rye flour, but of course you cant make bread with only Rye, so after it ferments continue with a good sour rye recipe that you can find in any bread book.

If you are using that much yeast, you are not really creating a sour starter, commercial yeast works differently than airborn, bacteria producing yeast live on the skins of many fruits, thats why grapes work, other fruits will as well, whey also will ferment flour and water nicely.

I recently purchased a starter from King Arthur Flour and had pretty good results with it.

To prep I do the following.
Prior to making the bread I discard half the starter and add 1/2 cup water 1 cup flour.
Next let it sit out for about half a day.
This gets the starter nice and bubbly.

Use whatever the recipe calls for in regards to starter and feed the remainder of the starter with 1/2 cup of water and 1 cup flour.

King Arthur (where I bought my starter from) suggests the following recipe.
1 cup starter
1 1/2 cup warm water
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. instant yeast
5 cups unbleached all purpose flour

combine the ingredients and let it rise until doubled ~ 90 mins

divide the dough into 2 halves. Cover and let rise on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. ~ 60 mins. Slash the tops and bake at 425 deg. for 30 mins.

I tried baking on the pizza stone and burned the bottom of the bread. I only tried this because I am used to baking my breads at 500+ degrees and this recipe I found was a little low.

I baked the 2nd loaf on one of my perforated curved bread trays (like what subway uses) and 500 degrees and it came out perfect.

Here is a pic of my last sourdough bread.
That looks delicious, GH!!! Isn't it a great feeling?? And the King Arthur people are wonderful to send emails to......they'll answer your questions within a day or two and will give permission to publish their recipes as long as you give them credit which I have.....I still think that their sandwich bread is amazing..........

Tex, where are you now? Texas or Kazakhastan? Ice fishing? Where. Too cold for me.

But I think I will add some lemon zest to my next attempt at sourdough rye bread. I love it when I can double knead and get a nice thicky, chewy, crunchy crust.

I'm now in KZ trying to get over jetlag (12 hour time difference and I don't follow my own advice:):)) the lemon sounds great, too............I absolutely love chewy, crunchy crusts.......wish we could get rye flour here......sob.......

So the ice fishing was in Texas? Wow! Yeah, nothing better than thick crust of Sourdough bread. Ever been to the Tadish Grill in San Francisco? IMHO, the best bread in the entire world.

NO........the ice fishing is in KZ......will need to send pics.......they make these little plastic tents and sit in them for days at a time........and the fish are not edible for people who don't want to be poisoned........but they're happy to sit there.......I guess it's fun......I wouldn't do it :):) I left TX with people wearing shorts and short sleeved shirts :):)

My goodness. What was that movie? Grumpy Old Men - Jack Lemon, Walter Mathau and gorgeous Ann Margaret. Their ice fishing looked like fun and I took it the fish was definitely edible. Why fish if you can't eat the fish? Poisoned from what? Pollution?

Well, we can always fall back on our bread, right? :ROFLMAO:

yeah, Mbastiszta, the river is definitely polluted.......but they like to catch them though I never see many leave with a whole stringer full or even a cooler......I think it's more for sport than anything else......

though this is a bit off-topic another favorite sport on the river is to sit in a sauna (they call it banya) and then drop into a wide hole cut out in the ice, swim around, and then get out and run along the river bank in a bathing suit while there is still snow on the ground..........I probably could make a fortune selling real sourdough bread as they got out..........they have the most wonderful bread here........

Interesting. They did something very similar in Germany. I spent 3 separate years at three different universities there. They would sit in a hot sauna and then go outside and jump in the snow. Yep, naked. They would rub the snow all over them and jump into a tub or pool of cold water. Then they would run back into the sauna. I must say I never saw the point and never participated in the fun, as it looked like torture to me. :ROFLMAO:
What kind of bread are you mentioning in Kazakhstan?
Marty

sourdough bread for the home baker - online sources

dragontaboo on 02-13-2009 said:
ISO Sour dough bread help
I have found a recipe for the starter but the preparation for the bread was not clear. Do any of you got a recipe that works?

At leaste for the bread.

Here is th recipie it gave me:

1 package of dry yeast
1/2 cup of warm water
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon of suger or honey

Sourdough starter is not made from commercial yeast. Furthermore, once a home baker has a healthy sourdough starter, commerical yeast is not needed.

While a sourdough starter can be made from scratch using only flour and water, it's easiest to begin with someone else's sourdough culture. An inexpensive and excellent dried sourdough starter is available for the cost of two stamps from http://home.att.net/~carlsfriend/

While DC does have home bread bakers who routinely use sourdough leavening for their breads, I have found that the best advice on sourdough breads is found at this breadbaking forum - The Fresh Loaf | News & Information for Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts

correction - Sourdough starter source

correction - the url for carl's sourdough starter is Source

? why couldn't I edit my prior post ?

You gotta love sourdough! Since the starters are unique to local organisms in the air, all sourdoughs are different.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom