Sour dough Starter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
I'd like to attempt again to make my own sourdough starter.

For those of you who have made your own.How do you store yours?

My first and only attempt didn't go over so well. I managed to get it started alright.No problem there,notta one.The fun stuff began a few hours later when my husband opened up the fridge and stated "Ugh Honey somethings going on in here!".. I dreaded what I might see. The crock I had used was still latched shut,but the dough it's self was seeping out all over and down the sides.I knew it would grow.But not like that!

What did I do wrong?

I used a recipe from the Fleishman's Bread Book.
Used a ceramic country crock with a locking lid.
Placed it in the fridge.
I think the crock was too small for that recipe.

Should I use something else?

New recipe?

Thanks.

Munky.

Welcome to DC, Munky. First, you should not have an airtight seal on your starter container. It develops gas and needs to vent it off. I have heard of sealed containers actually exploding , so be cautious. I keep my starter in a 1 qt Mason jar, and I have plastic wrap over the opening held in place with the cap ring. I them pierce a hole with a pin in the plastic so the gas can vent off.

Here's a good website to check out for making and maintaining your sourdough starter. I use this method and have kept my starter going for 8 months so far.Make Your Own Sourdough Starter — Bread Making Videos

Thank you Joe :)

I'll have a look at that site.

Somehow I knew it was human error.LOL!

Going through the archives here yesterday.Your bread pics had me really craving sourdough bread. I'll probably get a batch started asap.

Flour here has gone upclose to $2.00 here in just the last few months,just a loaf of sourdough bread is now about $6.00.Most likely stale. White bread is $4.50... Bit much for stale bread,that just tastes weird anyways.

Thank you again for the link and advice.

Munky.

Alrighty..the new starter is made,chillin' in the fridge.

Do I have to wait the 2 to 4 days before use?

I don't think I can do that. ;)

Munky.

I just started making bread recently. I store my sourdough starter the same way JoeV stores his.

I did wait about 3-4 days before using mine. I also "fed" it every day. Throwing away half, and adding 1 cup flour and 1 cup warm water. I started using it after it started to bubble and smelled fermented.

Mine started to get a dark liquid on top, I did some research and learned this is normal. You can pour it off or stir it back in - I guess it doesn't matter either way.

I also quit "feeding" it after it started to ferment. So, my starter just sits there and I don't do anything with it. I think I've had it for about 2 months.

The night before I use it, I take it out of the fridge, "feed it" (1 c flour and 1 c warm water) and then let it sit over night.

So far, so good on the sourdough making. I've made two bread bowls for parties and they both turned out really good.

Also, after I've used it, I sterilize the jar with boiling water before putting the rest back in.

I'm not an expert on this so others might have more to add, this is just one "newbie" to another. Good luck!

Thanks for the feed back.Much appreciated.

I've been doing quite a bit of reading on the sourdough techniques...*Sigh* What I have sitting in the fridge,Isn't a true sourdough starter.Not really sure what it is now.

No wonder it didn't fit into a quart jar like everyone's else's...It's now in a huge glass bowl that's covered in saran wrap.It kept escaping from the 1 qt jar..Can't have that! :)

I know now that I should have just stuck with flour and water.

So the question is...Can I use whatever that dough is in the fridge,for anything else?

Or should I just toss it out? It's at the stage where it's light,fluffy,and air pockets are visible,and rising daily.I haven't fed it since it's been made.

Starter recipe used:

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1 package of active dry yeast

2 cups of water.

Add flour and yeast,slowly add water.Beat until smooth.Cover and let it rest 2 to 4 days.

I have yet to see any liquid,or coloring.Smells like yeast to me.

Thanks

Munky

Well, these are JoeV questions for sure.

I do know that I didn't put any yeast in when I made the starter. I'll see if I can find the recipe, apparently I didn't save it on the computer.

Sorry I have not been back here for a couple of days. I've been very busy with my business and I'm getting ready to make a fishing trip next week.

Anyhow, after looking at what you've assembled, I can't vouch that it's safe to use, but I also can't say it's not safe either. I have heard of starter being made with commercial starter,but not made it myself. If it's bubbling and growing, it's probably fine, but I would do some additional research about it.

My starter is made from airborn yeast, and it's all around us in varying quantities. What you made will eventually become a true starter when the airborn yeast takes over for the commercial yeast. I would take one cup of your mixture and transfer it to a 1 quart container, then feed it 1/2 cup of flour and about 1/3 cup of lukewarm water. If you have a scale, it's equal weight of flour and water, which will give you a nice consistency. Leave it on the counter overnight and it should grow nicely with the yeast already present. The next morning mix the whole batch to deflate it, and let it rise again on its own. It should again double in size, and you should see lots of air bubbles in the mix. I would remove half of the mix, then feed it equal amounts of flour and water, and when it doubles in size, mix it back into itself and allow it to double in size. At this point it should have a pleasing sour odor, and the yeast smell should be gone. It's now ready to use to make sourdough bread.

Hope this helps.

No worries about the reply's. :)
My comp is having issues lately.Hopefully it will behave long enough for me to post this.

I ended up scratching that batch.Everything I've read,and researched about it,ended up with pretty much the same conclusion.It's eventually going to fail.I would then be back to square one.The packaged yeast will eventually spend it's self out.I'm sure it would have been fine to continue working with,But I'm not comfortable going that route.

I've also noticed no two sourdough recipes are the same,or the usage of it. Personal preference,history and love goes into every batch.

Thanks for the help Joe. I'll be taking the air born route.Might take a little longer.But I'll enjoy it.

Munky.

I need to correct myself, after I said I never "fed" my starter, I pulled it out to use and it was dead. :(

Theory is I "starved" it to death, lol. So I am making a new starter and this time I will "feed" it once a week.

I kept sourdough for many years. It makes wonderful biscuits and pancakes.

What you do is use part of it, feed what's left, and leave it out on the kitchen counter overnight. I fed 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk and 2 teaspoons of sugar.
Then store in fridge. If you don't use it for 10-14 days, take out a cup or two out and throw it away, and then feed what's left so you can keep it going.
Some people don't use any sugar, but the yeast really likes it.

If it gets a black liquid on top, drain that off, and follow the above directions.

The pioneers would never have had any bread if they hadn't passed around sourdough starter. That's why it's so famous in San Francisco.

Should I feed it sugar while I'm creating it? For some reason, my first time around didn't work.

I'm just doing 1 cup of flour and 1 cup warm water sitting on the counter. Throwing out half and feeding it another 1/2 cup each every 24 hours. Just started a new one today.

I have kept 2 sourdough cultures going for years, so when people say that theirs have died or they are tempermental, I frankly dont understand it. The first one I made, was started with flour water and whey. The second one was reconstituted from a packet out of a book entitled Sourdough Jack Cookery, and supposedly it is very old. I try to bake once a week, and actually I will only use one of the starters, 1/4 cup starter sits in the refrig for 2 weeks before I get to it without a problem. Sometimes I cant bake as often, so they have sat longer at times. I just add 2 cups flour and 2 cups water, let ferment overnight, and it is all bubbled in the morning. I reserve 1/4 cup to put back in the refrigerator and continue with the recipe. There is no commercial yeast in these, and I keep them in sealed mason jars. they never expand in the refigerator, but liquid separated and forms on the top. I just stir this in when I take it out. When you open it, it smells quite tangy and sour.

good luck with yours.

Dina

Back
Top Bottom