Sourdough Starter Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inchrisin

Senior Cook
Hi. I'm following along with Chef John to make a starter for sourdough. I'm about 5 days in and the starter is starting to smell more like acetobacter (vinegar) than it does lactobacillus (tangy). Should I carry through or should I start over?

The vinegary smell is normal. Keep feeding it. This can happen if you use a different flour for feeding it. If it turns a dark color or gets mold on it...toss it, start over. It may get a clear liquid on the top. This is called hooch (alcohol). Pour it off before feeding. This is a sign that you are not feeding it enough.

I keep mine in a large container in the fridge. It is traditional San Francisco sourdough. I keep the container sealed to prevent other yeasts in the air from mixing in. Its now over 25 years old. I feed it weekly, equal parts flour and water.

The vinegary smell is normal. Keep feeding it. This can happen if you use a different flour for feeding it. If it turns a dark color or gets mold on it...toss it, start over. It may get a clear liquid on the top. This is called hooch (alcohol). Pour it off before feeding. This is a sign that you are not feeding it enough.

I keep mine in a large container in the fridge. It is traditional San Francisco sourdough. I keep the container sealed to prevent other yeasts in the air from mixing in. Its now over 25 years old. I feed it weekly, equal parts flour and water.

I'll admit that I started the first feeding with AP flour. I switched over to bread flour like I should. No mold and I do have some liquid on top. I've been stirring the hooch into the slurry before I pour off.

I've been feeding equal parts flour and water too. If hooch is a sign of a lack of feeding, should I be adding a pinch more flour? Maybe 60:40?

Keep water flour ratio at 50/50. Just feed it more often. If you not already storing it in the refrigerator, consider it. I feed mine 1 cup of the flour/water each week. I do like to take what I am going to use and leave it out overnight to get the yeast active again. Feed the rest, let it sit out until very foamy, then back into the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom