Cauliflower Pizza Crust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chopper

Executive Chef
Moderator Emeritus
Hi all,
I tried this pizza crust, but it was too soggy for me. I tried baking it longer, but it just didn't crisp up. I will need to try it more to see if I can do better. In the mean time, I wanted to share.

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

Cauliflower, frozen, cooked, riced, 1 cup (may want to dry with paper towel)
Egg, fresh, 1 large
Cheddar Cheese, 1 cup, shredded
Fennel, 1/2 tsp (optional)
Oregano, ground, 1 tsp
Parsley, dried, 2 tsp. (can also add garlic and/or Italian seasoning)

Rice or mash the cauliflower. Beat egg, add the cauliflower, and shredded cheese. Mix in desired spices and press into a greased pizza pan. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes.

Add sauce and toppings and bake another 10 minutes or so.

Maybe I need to add a little more cheese, or a little more egg? What do you think. Flour is out of the question, because I was going for low carbs. Thanks. :mellow:

I also thought of trying this with fresh instead of frozen cauliflower. Who knows?

Hi all,
I tried this pizza crust, but it was too soggy for me. I tried baking it longer, but it just didn't crisp up. I will need to try it more to see if I can do better. In the mean time, I wanted to share.

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

Cauliflower, frozen, cooked, riced, 1 cup (may want to dry with paper towel)
Egg, fresh, 1 large
Cheddar Cheese, 1 cup, shredded
Fennel, 1/2 tsp (optional)
Oregano, ground, 1 tsp
Parsley, dried, 2 tsp. (can also add garlic and/or Italian seasoning)

Rice or mash the cauliflower. Beat egg, add the cauliflower, and shredded cheese. Mix in desired spices and press into a greased pizza pan. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes.

Add sauce and toppings and bake another 10 minutes or so.

Maybe I need to add a little more cheese, or a little more egg? What do you think. Flour is out of the question, because I was going for low carbs. Thanks. :mellow:
What about letting the riced cauliflower sit for 2-3 hours over a strainer after ricing with a weight on it? Or, treat the cauliflower like we do the potatoes for lefse--make and rice them the night before, put in the fridge, and then add the other ingredients?

Last edited:
I don't think I would be satisfied with this for a pizza crust.

This has a few more carbs but, I think it would be more satisfying.

Pizza is at the top of my list for foods I miss on my low carb diet!

I wonder what skinny people dream about? :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forum...s-diet-users-9874.html?highlight=atkins+pizza
I did this with a carb balance tortilla last night, and, yes I did like it a lot better! I was just thinking that maybe I could improve on this too. The tortilla made a wonderful little pizza for me. :)

What about letting the riced cauliflower sit for 2-3 hours over a strainer after ricing with a weight on it? Or, treat the cauliflower like we do the potatoes for lefse--make and rice them the night before, put in the fridge, and then add the other ingredients?

Thanks. May need to try that. I'm thinking maybe I could make a nice cheesey bread with this. :wacko:

Haven't tried to make a pizza crust or bread, but I make mashed cauliflower (fresh) a lot instead of mashed potatoes. I do steam it instead of boiling it though as it absorbs much less water that way. Steaming and then weighting/draining like CWS wrote might work to dry it out pretty well.

I made this once, used fresh cauliflower, blanched it ( i mean literally just dunked in the hot water, then out) and the taste and consistency was actually pretty good. Im pretty sure i jus used egg whites instead of the whole egg.

I made this once, used fresh cauliflower, blanched it ( i mean literally just dunked in the hot water, then out) and the taste and consistency was actually pretty good. Im pretty sure i jus used egg whites instead of the whole egg.

Oh thanks everyone. Does it still mash up well when blanched? I know that it should work. It actually tasted good, just a little soggy. I bet next time I try this will be much better. The fresh cauliflower should make a big difference.

idont think i mashed it , i think i either grated it or put it in the food processor to get small pieces . again this was a good year or two ago, and only did it once. But, i was definitely surprised that it tasted better than i thought it would.

Oh I saw this done on another forum I must find it for you , looks like a great idea . I have seen on other forums that some people blitz fresh Cauli in a food processor or you could chop it finely, now would it work from fresh then as I imagine chopped fine it would cook through ok ?

The recipes I have seen recommend using a cheese grater if you don't have a food processor. Also, when cooking the cauliflower until it's translucent (in a non-stick pan or microwave) don't add any oil or any other type of moisture.

it seems to me that since the cauliflower is replacing flour in the recipe, you'd need to cook it well, macerate it finely in some way (such as the aforementioned ricing or grating/processing) then spread it put and blot with a paper towel and allow it to nearly dry out to be flour-like; maybe a little more granular.

this idea intrigues me, chop. thanks for posting it. i may have to try it soon for fun experimenting with my boy, and it would please dw since it's a healthy alternative.

and what doesn't taste good with sauce and cheese on it, anyway.

it seems to me that since the cauliflower is replacing flour in the recipe, you'd need to cook it well, macerate it finely in some way (such as the aforementioned ricing or grating/processing) then spread it put and blot with a paper towel and allow it to nearly dry out to be flour-like; maybe a little more granular.

this idea intrigues me, chop. thanks for posting it. i may have to try it soon for fun experimenting with my boy, and it would please dw since it's a healthy alternative.

and what doesn't taste good with sauce and cheese on it, anyway.

Right BT. The taste was good. Let me know if you get the chance to experiment before I do.

You still have to squeeze the liquid out of the cauliflower and flipping the "pizza" dough helps. It still isn't pizza dough, but I liked it!

Back
Top Bottom