Critique my dough/pizza recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCKubicaFan

Assistant Cook
Hey folks, I wanted some input on my pizza recipe as it turns out well, meaning that the dough bakes through, rises, etc.... but it is just missing something concerning the flavor of the dough to seal the deal, so to speak.

Here is the dough recipe that I am using:

- 2.5 cups of All Purpose (non-bleached) flour OR 2 cups aforementioned and .5 cup of whole wheat flour

- approx. 1.5 TBSP melted butter (instead of olive oil)
- 1 tsp sugar
- approx. 2 TBSP of honey
- dusting of salt (1 tsp at most)
- 1 packet of High Active Yeast
- approx. 1 cup, just under of water 120-130 degrees (check with an infrared thermometer)

The yeast and water are added last, mixed with my Kitchen Aid mixer until it becomes a sold mass in the bowl, then transfer to another bowl, covered/sealed and left either in the microwave (not turned on) for 30-60 minutes for it to works it's magic.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in Advance!

A few things I've learned over the years:
1- Unbleached flour will give your dough better flavor and aroma.
2- 1 cup of pastry or cake flour makes a smoother dough.
3- adding more salt will make a sweeter dough (not more sugar or honey)
4- adding oil to the dough makes it tougher.
5- water temp 115 degrees.
6-knead dough for 30 minutes in the stand mixer.
7-let the dough rise, 1st rise, (draft free) for 4 hrs then punch down ,2nd rise 2 to 4 hrs. this gives the dough (flavor)

I hope these tips help.
Joe

Bread flour has more gluten and provides a better texture. Recipe looks OK, try rubbing the edge of the pizza with butter when it comes out of the oven.

Thanks for the responses! I will try some of these recommendations and report back.

Here is another question.... How do I know when I need to add more yeast to the dough mixture. I'd like to make a larger batch of dough if I will be putting it in the fridge to "slow-rise".

Double the dough, double the yeast.

Here is where the question came from. The original recipe I was using called for 1.5 cups of flour per 1 packet of yeast. The above posted recipe I have been using I increased the amount of flour by 1 cup, same amount of yeast, and the dough still rises. At which point, perhaps a ratio of sorts should I consider using more yeast in the future.

How much flour can I use with 1 packet of yeast.... I hope this clarifies my yeast quantity question.

**** Keep in mind I have never made pizza or bread previous to my efforts the last couple weeks. I am a complete newbie to cooking/backing etc...

Last edited:
as you very probably know, yeast is "alive" - it grows and multiplies. discounting "extremes" - using less yeast just makes the rising take longer - given time the yeast will multiple and do its thing. a bit more or a bit less is not going to make or break a formula.

I rarely double a bread recipe as most of mine 'fill the mixer bowl' - and I'm not uber-careful with the measuring of it - more or less a teaspoon works for me (g) - but if I'm going to plunk it in the fridge overnight I do cut back to about half a spoon.

too much yeast can cause an early 'over-rpoofed' condition - so in the case where you want to double the batch and keep half for later, there's a glitch - how to get a normal rise time for the first and a delayed rise for the second . . .

for more ideas & tips see:
Baker's yeast - King Arthur Flour

curiously:
/quote
We’ve found that here in our King Arthur kitchen, where we bake bread every day, we can cut the yeast back to 1/16 teaspoon in a 3-cup-of-flour recipe and get a good overnight rise. In a kitchen where bread is seldom baked, we needed 1/2 teaspoon of yeast to get the same effect.
/unquote

the best pizza crust I've found is Jamie Oliver's - bread flour with a portion of semolina -
Pizza Dough Recipe : Jamie Oliver : Food Network
I cut that recipe in half for two 12 inch pizzas.

Back
Top Bottom