Frozen pizza dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
I have read more than 2 dozen posts/pages on how to make pizza dough. Almost all of them make the very flippant comment that extra dough can be made and frozen but no one mentions what to do with it when you need it. Do you need to defrost it before cooking? Can I roll the dough into pizza rounds before freezing it? etc.

The dough is usually frozen in balls. Once defrosted (best done in the fridge,IMO) and put in a warm place, it will still rise once it is warm enough.

Craig is right. Form it into a ball. I place it in a freezer ziploc bag and pop it in the freezer. When I want to use it, put it in the fridge to thaw in the bag. Once it is thawed, I remove it from the bag and let it sit on my pizza pan to warm to room temp and then proceed with the pizza making. Don't notice much difference. I've also been known to go ahead and make the whole pizza and freeze it. I use half sheet pans for my pizza so I'll roll out the dough, add sauce, toppings and cheese. Wrap it in plastic wrap then aluminum foil and pop the whole thing in the freezer. I let it thaw before cooking it and it comes out great.

I flour the counter and drop the frozen dough ball on it, cover with a tea towel and wait about 5 hours. Then I make pizza.

Thanks! What about rollingit out into the pie shape and then freezing it?

It's more difficult to find a space in most freezers for a hard flat disc 14"-16" in diameter.

Back
Top Bottom