How to get ciabatta onto baking stone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

radicalkat

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I've been dabbling with ciabatta recipes lately. Many say to bake it on a pizza stone. However, the dough is so wet, I'm not sure how to get it onto a piel and then onto a stone. Any suggestions on how to get the risen and formed ciabatta dough onto a stone for baking?

Thanks!

Hi, radicalkat. Welcome to DC.

Whenever I transfer dough to a baking stone I sprinkle my peel with cornmeal before placing the loaf on it. I also put a little on my baking stone. The cornmeal acts like little ball bearings to help move the dough and to assist in keeping it from sticking. If you don't have any cornmeal, you can use Cream of Wheat.

For a really wet or loose dough that cannot be easily handled, try using a piece of aluminum foil laying directly on your countertop as a slip sheet. (the non-stick type works particularly well)

Form your dough right on the foil, and let it rise.

Once it's done rising, slide the peel under the foil, and deposit the whole thing onto the bricks.

Last edited:
The foolproof way is of course to simply prepare the dough on a piece of parchment and then transfer the parchment directly to the stone. The paper may burn and break up into little pieces, which is messy but harmless.

The alternative would be to do as you'd do with a pizza and simply use a peel dusted with corn meal or semolina. You can quickly slip a cookie spatula or icing spatula between the dough and the peel just before sliding it onto the stone.

A further alternative that I have used is to make the dough on a silpat and transfer the silpat to the oven. This is neater than using parchment because the silpat won't disintegrate or scorch, but I'm not sure it's recommended by the manufacturer.

The best and most proper method would probably be #2.

I just use parchment paper as well - never had a problem with it breaking up and it doesnt prevent any of the heat from transferring from the stone.

Also you could use the back of a cookie sheet sprinkled with cornmeal, then just slide it on your stone, it you do not have a peel.

Thanks!

Thanks to all who've replied to my question! I'm going to try forming the loaf on parchment paper and transfering it to the stone that way. I'll let you know how it turns out!

I found a pic... ;)

The paper/foil trick works great with "wet" pies or breads...

Attachments

• pizza_peel 02.jpg
    pizza_peel 02.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 252
Why on earth can't I think of these things!!!
Brilliant!!
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom