ISO TNT Pizza Dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Sprout is planning on making a hand tossed pizza for her DH's birthday this weekend. She's looking for a TNT dough recipe that will give her a properly elastic dough that also tastes great. Her pizza will be a basic herbed tomato sauce with mozzerella cheese and pepperoni. She's looking for that perfect dough.

Yes I make great breads of many varieties. But for whatever reason, my pizza crust never seems to bake properly. So technique will also be important. She has an electric oven, and probably a pizza pan from Wal-Mart. She also has a heavy Wagner 12 inch cast iron pan.

Now I know Sprout well, and she's a very talented cook who learns absurdly fast. So she'll be able to follow instructions well. She had to get to work and didn't have time to ask, so she called me and asked my to put in this request. Thanks.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Mr B's Pizza dough!

Mix
1cup lukewarm water
1 pack fast yeast

to that add

1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tbs olive oil

Add that to

1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup wheat flour
1 1/2 cup white flour

stir till smooth

add about 1 1/2 cups more white flour in 1/2 cup intervals kneading in the last 1/2 cup.
Let rise until double.

OK, GW.

Here's my version:

PIZZA CRUST

1 pkg Active Dry Yeast
1 tsp Sugar
268 Gr Warm Water (1 Cup)
1 Tb Kosher Salt
3 Tb Extra-virgin olive oil
420 Gr Bread Flour (3 Cups)

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the yeast, sugar, and warm water; mix briefly on low to dissolve. Let the mixture stand until the yeast comes alive and starts to foam, about 5 to 10 minutes.

Turn the mixer on low and add the salt and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.

Add the flour, a little at a time, while the mixer is running at the lowest speed, until all the flour has been incorporated. When the dough pulls away from the bowl and forms a ball on the dough hook, increase the speed to medium and mix for 5 minutes, stopping as needed to scrape the dough down off the hook. (a light coating of oil on the top part of the hook will minimize this sticking).

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Form the dough into a round and place in the lightly oiled bowl of the mixer, turning it over to coat it with oil. Cover with plastic wrap pressed down onto the surface of the dough and let it rise in a warm spot until doubled in size.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter. Roll and stretch the dough into a cylinder and divide into 2 equal pieces. Form each piece into a ball. Cover with a towel and let it rest for 30 minutes so it will be easier to shape.

From "Trattoria," by Patricia Wells

Basic Bread and Pizza Dough

1 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
11/2 cups lukewarm water
2 tablespons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
About 3 3/4 cups bread flour

In large bowl combine yeast, sugar and water, stir to blend. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Stir in oil and salt.

Add in the flour a little at a time, stirring until most of the flour has been absorbed and the dough forms a ball. Transfer dought to floured work surface and knead unitl soft and satiny but still firm, 4-5 minutes, adding additional flour as needed to keep the dought from sticking.

Transfer dought to a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in the fridge. Let the dough rise in the fridge until doubled or tripled in bulk, 8-12 hours. It can be kept in the fridge for 2-3 days, punch down as it doubles or triples.

Yields enough dough for 15 rolls or 4 small pizzas (or 2 big ones)

Whatever recipe you use, the flavor will be greatly improved if you mix up the ingredients the night before, or early in the morning. No need to knead--the gluten forms by itself over time, and the flavor improves as enzymes act on the flour.

We've had the best results going the route outlined in post #'s 5 & 6 except we use 1/3 durum flour. bethzaring posted a nice recipe for pizza early this year or late last year.
We're looking forward to receiving Lidia Bastianich's Italian American cookbook to see what tips she offers for making pizza & calzone.

Last edited:
I find the biggest issue people have is getting the crust rolled out thin enough, and cooking at high enough temperature on a porous stone material.

I start with a pin, and then finish by hand. My oven is set at 550ºF (highest it will go), and I preheat the oven for quite awhile with our pizza stone in it.

1-C Warm Water
1-T Active Dry Yeast
1-T Sugar
1-T Kosher Salt
1/4-C EVOO
3-C Flour

I also warm room-temp olive oil with garlic and chile flakes while the oven heats up. This is brushed on the top-side of the dough before the toppings.

For tomatoes I use good canned jobbers that I've seeded, and then hand crushed back into the canning puree. To this I add a tablespoon of minced herbs (Oregano/Basil), and a tablespoon or so of white wine. It "cooks" on the pizza.

For cheese I like any brand of aged finely shredded Mozzarella along with finely grated Parmesan.

Into the oven it goes until the edges are deep golden and small black spots appear at random intervals on the cheese.

Back
Top Bottom