Meat-za Pizza Crust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
This is one of my keto diet recipes, and it's fantastic! Basically, it's a pizza "crust" made of meat. Even if you're not into low carb, I think you will love this.

I'm not including any recipe for sauce or toppings. Feel free to use whatever you normally use on pizza.

Be forewarned: it's VERY filling.

Meat-za Pizza Crust
Makes 8-10 servings

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb lean ground beef
  • 1 lb mild Italian pork sausage
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tsp ground basil
  • 1 tsp oregano (preferably Mediterranean)
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Preheat oven to 450°F.

Method:
  1. Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Press the mixture into an 11x17 non-stick cookie pan. Be sure to spread it out evenly and push it all the way up to the edge of the pan forming a slight lip. To facilitate things I put wax paper over the meat and then roll it out with a rolling pin.
  2. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
  3. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, carefully tilt the pan up and drain off any grease.
  4. Top with your favorite sauce, toppings, and cheese.
  5. Turn the oven to the broil setting, and return the pan to the oven so that it sits about 6" below the broiler. Broil for 8-10 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown.

img_1400893_0_636354e86be26b6e6eb63797e3a92d5c.jpg

Looks like a winner to me.

How does it do if you treat it like a normal pizza dough and cook it in a hot oven on a stone?

Looks like a winner to me.

How does it do if you treat it like a normal pizza dough and cook it in a hot oven on a stone?
No idea. Tonight was my first attempt. But my guess is that you would end up with a very greasy pizza stone. And I'm not sure there's any advantage, because it doesn't crisp up like a standard crust.

I was thinking along the lines of precooking as suggested and draining the grease then topping and into the oven like a regular pizza rather then the broiler.

Guess it's time to experiment.

I was thinking along the lines of precooking as suggested and draining the grease then topping and into the oven like a regular pizza rather then the broiler.

Guess it's time to experiment.

The crust is already fully cooked. Cooking longer would dry it out. All the broiler does is heat the sauce and toppings and melt the cheese.

The crust is already fully cooked. Cooking longer would dry it out. All the broiler does is heat the sauce and toppings and melt the cheese.

Perhaps shorten time of precook then place on the stone?

As Steve said it's not a crisp crust and this may be a way towards that end.

As I said. Time to experiment. :yum:

Perhaps shorten time of precook then place on the stone?

As Steve said it's not a crisp crust and this may be a way towards that end.

As I said. Time to experiment. :yum:

I don't think you can get a crisp crust with ground beef and sausage. There's nothing there to crisp up.

Last edited:
I tried this today!

I made a half recipe in a round pizza pan. I baked the "crust" at 450 for 10 minutes, removed it from the oven, transferred it to a sheet pan, blotted the fat and moisture from the top with paper towels. I topped it with tomato sauce, Romano cheese, mozzarella cheese, red onion rings, and black olives. I baked it for an additional 12 minutes at 450 and then let it rest for about 10 minutes before serving. The edges were crispy, the cheese was brown, it had all of the flavor elements of a pizza.

I'm thinking that this might make a nice breakfast pizza. The shell made with breakfast sausage, topped with beaten eggs, a splash of heavy cream, cayenne pepper, grated cheese and some chopped broccoli or chopped spinach.

Great recipe idea!:chef:
Seems like it's universal enough that it could also be made using a panini maker.

Good idea Aunt Bea, just one thing...It needs Bacon... bacon...BACONNN!
Just sayin":pig: :mrgreen:

How did I miss this thread! Meat-za Pizza coming up....

I like all the additional suggestions, too!

Last edited:
I'm trying the meat-za pizza crust again.

The first time I made it I cut the recipe in half and it still made too much for me. Today I mixed up half a batch and divided it into two one quart freezer bags. I closed the slider almost closed, so that air could still escape and pressed the mixture out flat in the bag. This gives me two 7"X8" personal pan meat-za crusts. I put one in the freezer laid flat and the other in the refrigerator. I will bake one this afternoon and the other one next time I get a pizza craving. As far as toppings go I usually have various odds and ends in the refrigerator and always have some grated cheese so it should not be a problem to come up with a decent combination. This recipe is a nice, easy addition to my menu rotation.

Last edited:
I'm sure glad this thread got bumped. I didn't see it the first time around. Gonna copy and paste that recipe right now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom