Napoli´s 7 Classic Pizzas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
:chef: Good Evening,

:yum: Firstly, Italia´s Government, documents all their traditional recipes for the Ministry of Tourism. Here are 7 pizzas of designation Napoli, Campania and their ingredients. There dough is a standard pizza recipe, consisting of yeast, salt, flour, extra virgin olive oil and water.

:) What is your favorite pizza ? Would enjoy hearing all about your selections.

1. PIZZA ALLA NAPOLETANA : the ingredients for a Naples pizza are: 160 grams of ripe, juicy tomatoes, 6 anchovies, 120g of buffala di mozzarella, 1 tsp. of oregano and 4 tblsps of Evoo.

2. PIZZA AL PROSCUITTO DI PARMA : the toppings for this pizza are: 150 grams of home made ricotta, 150g of ripe juicy tomatoes, 150g of proscuitto di parma air dried ham, and 2 tblsps of Evoo.

3. PIZZA ALLE CIPOLLE : This pizza is made with 100 grams of ripe juicy red tomatoes, 2 onions, 12 anchovies, 16 black olives, 16 capers, 8 fresh basil leaves and 4 tblsps of Evoo.

4. PIZZA ALLA PARMIGIANA : A cheese lover´s delight, the ingredients are: 100 grams of ripe red tomatoes, 80g of parmesano reggiano, 150 grams of home made ricotta ( note: I have a very simple recipe for preparing home made ricotta ), salt and 3 tblsps of Evoo.

5. PIZZA MARGHERITA : This pizza is a standard worldwide; however, here is the recipe I have been using from Napoli for years: 150 grams of buffala di mozzarella, 100 grams of ripe red tomatoes, 12 fresh basil leaves, salt and freshly grinded black pepper and Evoo - 3 tblsps.

6. PIZZA AGLIO, OLIO E PEPERONCINO : Peperoncino are a false friend in the English language and translate to Red Chili Peppers, not Pepperoni, a charcuterie variety. The rest of the ingredients are: 4 cloves garlic, 1 tblsp. oregano, 2 chili peppers minced or red pepper flakes, 3 tblsps. of Evoo.

7. PIZZA ALLA SALSICCIA : This pizza is made with bratwürst style sausages from the Napoli region. The other ingredients are: 100g of tomatoes ripe and juicy, 200g of buffala di mozzarella, 100 grams of Italian würst style sausage, 40 grams of ewe pecorino sardo or pecorino toscano or pecorino romano and 3 tblsps of Evoo.

Look forward to hearing from you once again,
Margi. :chef:

Last edited:
Margi , Thanks for sharing about traditional Italian pizzas.
I think the pizzas I make don’t ‘fit” as well with what you describe. My “ideal” pizza sauce is a thickened tomato sauce along with some onion and added oregano and a couple pinches of fennel seeds. Thicker than a spaghetti type sauce, and I just paint the dough, with the sauce, not pool it up like some commercial pizzas. Fresh basil, if used, gets snipped on top after it comes out of the oven. What goes on my pizza most often is pieces of cooked sausage and mushrooms. Sometimes leftover bite size pieces of chicken. Then a layer of Mozzarella and some parmesan or romano. That’s if I make my own Pizza.

Regrettably, in US, it is so easy (too easy) to buy pizza from take-out or delivery. They have “specials” and is often less expensive than making it yourself, and is , for me, an easy meal for days I feel lazy or don’t want to cook. Making a home-made pizza is actually a treat.

In the US, we have different regional “styles” of pizza. One of the more famous is NY style, which has a thin crust but is soft enough to still bend it so the toppings don’t fall off while eating it. It is said that one of the things that gives NY pizza its special flavor is the water used to make the dough. I can’t say my tastes are that refined and I don’t want to think about the Hudson River when eating a slice of pizza on a corner in NYC. I Do agree, there is something Special about NY Bagels, that can not be found elsewhere, and that is also supposedly due to their waters. But back to pizza…

Chicago deep dish pizza has a very thick crust, many layers of ingredients, lots of tomato sauce and tomato chunks and is best if eaten with a fork. It can closely resemble a torta. California pizza may not contain a tomato based sauce and has any number of not traditional, but still tasty ingredient combinations. I think it has to do with all the things that California produces as it does freeing your mind up and being creative with what’s available.

Our Midwest pizza has a very thin, crisp, almost but not quite , cracker -like crust and is commonly sliced in little squares rather than pie shapes. People outside our region make jokes about our pizza, especially when comparing it to another regions’ style. I don’t care. It’s the kind I grew up on, and even If making a different type of pizza, I like my pizza cut in little squares.

These are just a descriptive tip on different types of pizza, as I see it. Of course, NY produces a wonderful Sicilian type of pizza, Chicago probably has more thin crust pizzas than well made deep dish pies. There is a notable New Haven (Connecticut) style, with which I am not familiar. There is brick oven baked and pizza on the grill. I think every restaurant that sells pizza has Pizza Margherita on its menu. Pizza here is pretty much defined by its ingredients rather than its style.

If I make them at home I tend to use small amounts of several items that I have on hand or I make what is known in this area as tomato pie. Tomato pie was made by the local ladies on bread baking day and consists of dough, tomato paste, oregano, a sprinkle of grated cheese and a drizzle of olive oil. It was meant as a snack for the children after school.

If I go out I like thin crust New York style cheese pizza.

Like the kids say, it's all good! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Margi, in Italy, is pizza a dish served by itself, or are there side dishes served with it?

I'm from the Midwest, too, and grew up on Domino's Pizza with the thin, crispy crust. I love the sauce, so I always order it with extra sauce, along with pepperoni, green peppers and mozzarella cheese. When I make it at home, toppings depend on what I have on hand - one favorite is roasted red peppers and roasted diced chicken with fresh mozzarella.

Yup, it's all good!

We have a local chain here in the Minneapolis area that Whiskadoodle might be familiar with. It's called Punch Neapolitan Pizza. I've been to Napoli twice, and I would say Punch's traditional pies are very similar in style: San Marzano tomatoes, Mozzarella di Bufala, and fresh basil, baked in very hot wood fired brick ovens. The only difference is that the pizza police doesn't tell them what they can or cannot use for toppings, so they also have some non-traditional pizzas as well.

I would walk a mile for one of their pies. The crust is simply outstanding. Crispy, with just a little bit of char and smoke flavor.

I'm also a big fan of Chicago style pizza. Some people don't care for that much crust, but I love it myself. I lived in Chicago for a couple of years, and whenever I get back there, I head straight to Giordano's for one of their stuffed pies. :yum:

Last edited:
Whiskadoodle,

Wow. Thank you so much for your viewpoints, post and information provided on Pizza in the USA.

Firstly, I have truly enjoyed Pizza Bianco ( white pizza ) in Chicago. NYC pizza dough is lovely however, for the most part, the typical Italian Hood ( neighborhood ) has many Pizzerias still preparing what I consider too greasey ! I truly prefer a Margharita with buffala di Mozzarella, fresh basil leaves and tomato verses that plastic style cheese that Ray´s prepares for example.

I have had good pizza in numerous cities across the USA for eg: Chicago, Wash D.C. and San Fran. I would avoid Miami at all costs for a slice of Pizza.
Not to say, that there is quite a difference between a Trattoria and a Pizzeria. The best NYC pizza I have had to date is a tiny hole in the wall, somewhere in Brooklyn, that we had gone to. I have the address in the NYC book.

Thanks again for all the details and information.
Kind Regards.
Margi.

Last edited:
Got Garlic,

1stly, Thank you very much for your contribution and post.

In Italia, it is a rarity that one would have Pizza for a lunch. Lunch is the main meal of the day consisting of several courses: antipasti, appetiser, main course with a pasta and a vegetable side, bread of course, wine and a bottle of sparkling water ... and then, a dessert.

Pizza is a snack for Italians which is usually served earlier before lunch ! For example, in Sicilia, at 11.30am, the whole city is at the bakeries waiting in line for an espresso and a Cannoli filled with ricotta and mascarpone ... the same with pizza establishments.

Young people have an entirely different set of values when it comes to eating, and yes, perhaps they do eat a pizza for lunch. However, it is rare to find a traditional family eating pizza for lunch.

Perhaps, as an antipasti, one finds, foccaccia, and squares of pizza or calzone ( stuffed dough concoctions which are made from pizza dough, however, folded and stuffed ).

It could be a late afternoon snack as well, like cocktail hour ... Italians love to mangia.

Thanks again for your post.
Margi.

Last edited:
Margi, I would love all of these pizzas :yum:

I really am a pizza lovely, enjoying both simple pizzas to elaborate gourmet pizzas :)

:chef: Good Evening,

:yum: Firstly, Italia´s Government, documents all their traditional recipes for the Ministry of Tourism. Here are 7 pizzas of designation Napoli, Campania and their ingredients. There dough is a standard pizza recipe, consisting of yeast, salt, flour, extra virgin olive oil and water.

:) What is your favorite pizza ? Would enjoy hearing all about your selections.

1. PIZZA ALLA NAPOLETANA : the ingredients for a Naples pizza are: 160 grams of ripe, juicy tomatoes, 6 anchovies, 120g of buffala di mozzarella, 1 tsp. of oregano and 4 tblsps of Evoo.

2. PIZZA AL PROSCUITTO DI PARMA : the toppings for this pizza are: 150 grams of home made ricotta, 150g of ripe juicy tomatoes, 150g of proscuitto di parma air dried ham, and 2 tblsps of Evoo.

3. PIZZA ALLE CIPOLLE : This pizza is made with 100 grams of ripe juicy red tomatoes, 2 onions, 12 anchovies, 16 black olives, 16 capers, 8 fresh basil leaves and 4 tblsps of Evoo.

4. PIZZA ALLA PARMIGIANA : A cheese lover´s delight, the ingredients are: 100 grams of ripe red tomatoes, 80g of parmesano reggiano, 150 grams of home made ricotta ( note: I have a very simple recipe for preparing home made ricotta ), salt and 3 tblsps of Evoo.

5. PIZZA MARGHERITA : This pizza is a standard worldwide; however, here is the recipe I have been using from Napoli for years: 150 grams of buffala di mozzarella, 100 grams of ripe red tomatoes, 12 fresh basil leaves, salt and freshly grinded black pepper and Evoo - 3 tblsps.

6. PIZZA AGLIO, OLIO E PEPERONCINO : Peperoncino are a false friend in the English language and translate to Red Chili Peppers, not Pepperoni, a charcuterie variety. The rest of the ingredients are: 4 cloves garlic, 1 tblsp. oregano, 2 chili peppers minced or red pepper flakes, 3 tblsps. of Evoo.

7. PIZZA ALLA SALSICCIA : This pizza is made with bratwürst style sausages from the Napoli region. The other ingredients are: 100g of tomatoes ripe and juicy, 200g of buffala di mozzarella, 100 grams of Italian würst style sausage, 40 grams of ewe pecorino sardo or pecorino toscano or pecorino romano and 3 tblsps of Evoo.

Look forward to hearing from you once again,
Margi. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom