Pizza cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In addition to lots of mozzarella I like to add this blend...

img_1453430_0_c15e8a26d45beabfd9223f61b301bf3c.jpg
Mine too!!!!!!!!!! :yum::yum:

I like to use a sharp Swiss as the main cheese and add some mozzarella or provolone and cheddar to my pizza. Growing up, mom never grated cheese so when she made pizza she sliced the Swiss and layered it on then sprinkled Parmesan on top. I guess that's why I like it with Swiss.

I love that 4 cheese blend from TJ's too, Kay. :yum:

I haven't had pizza in quite a while, and now I'm craving it. One of my fave pizzas is very simple - olive oil instead of a red pizza sauce, and topped with mozzarella, smoked gouda, and artichoke hearts. Thin crust. :yum:

I love sharp swiss, too!

Last edited:
I love that 4 cheese blend from TJ's too, Kay. :yum:

I haven't had pizza in quite a while, and now I'm craving it. One of my fave pizzas is very simple - olive oil instead of a red pizza sauce, and topped with mozzarella, smoked gouda, and artichoke hearts. Thin crust. :yum:

I love sharp swiss, too!

That white pizza sounds yummy. I'd load it up with a lot of fresh garlic. Then my wife would get mad at me for loading it with all the garlic. ha ha

As for pizza cheese, the local store used to carry (up until a month ago) a really good mozzarella that was about the same price as Kraft. It had an Italian name. I never buy pre-grated cheese. It's a lot fresher grating it yourself. Now I just buy whatever mozzarella is on sale -- Kraft or Morningstar or store brand IGA.

I like to make pizza dough in the bread machine. It makes enough dough for 2 medium pizzas. I need to learn how to make it in the Kitchenaid mixer. Then I top with a thin layer of pizza sauce and then add green peppers, pepperoni and some oregano and other herbs. I let that cook a little while then I remove the pizzas and throw the cheese on and slap it back in.

Mostly I use mozzarella cheese but sometimes just for different test I use cheddar and Parmesan cheese.

I think when you are making your own pizza you can put whatever cheese you like. For example my daughter doesn't like any cheese, but feta. Not your everyday pizza cheese, but that is what she likes, that is what she gets on her pizza.

I think when you are making your own pizza you can put whatever cheese you like. For example my daughter doesn't like any cheese, but feta. Not your everyday pizza cheese, but that is what she likes, that is what she gets on her pizza.

Maybe there is a little Greek running through the family. Pizza certainly has come a long way from Italy. Pizza starts with bread dough. And like a sandwich, you can put anything you want on your sandwich. :angel:

I generally only use Mozzarella on a pizza, but adding some Provolone isn't bad.

Personally I can't stand most other types of cheese on pizza, even when I normally eat that kind of cheese in other situations. Cheddar, Jack, Colby - If they're on there I'd rather pass on the pizza.

Some of the others, like Asiago, Fontina, Pecorinno Romano, and FRESH (not the stuff in the green can) Parmesan are ok in small amounts. I can't say they actually add anything, though they at least don't ruin it for me the way some of the other stuff does.

That stuff in the can is awful though. When I was younger, it smelled just like vomit to me. I don't seem to catch that smell anymore, but I suspect that's more likely due to the gradual failure of my sense of smell rather than to any improvement in that particular item, LOL!

I see. For us, if it doesn't have Parmigiano Reggiano embossed on the rind, we simply don't buy it. We've used Grana Padano before, it was OK but we prefer the Reggiano. The "Green Can" exited from my life after leaving home, just like canned pasta.

Same here, although it took me longer to discover it :) Someone on this site mentioned it years ago so I tried it and was instantly converted.

When I think of "fresh" hard Italian cheese, to me it means that I watched it cut right from the wheel that sits on the counter in the cheese shop. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom