Pizza crust not firming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lukee12

Assistant Cook
Hi,
I have several times made pizza dough following Prue Leith's recipe. It is a great recipe but I always find that when baking for the allotted time (12-15 minutes), that the crust has not blistered and the pizza dough is not fully cooked but the topping is.
What is the best solution? Should I raise the gas mark on the oven or cook the dough for a few minutes before adding the topping?
Any advice much appreciated
Thanks

You can raise the temp to 260ºC. Also, allow the oven to preheat for up to an hour to ensure the pizza stone if completely preheated. It takes substantially longer to reach temperature than the air in the oven.

Thank you for the advice! I am using a baking sheet as i dont have a pizza stone - I also have a round pizza tray if that's better?

The shape and size of the pan won't make a difference unless you spread out the dough more in a larger pan. Not suggesting you should do that.

I don't have wire handles on my stone. It stays in the oven all the time. I remove the pizza with a peel and cut it into slices on a cutting board. The choice is yours depending on how you want to use your stone.

I like to remove the whole thing from the oven and I use kitchen shears to cut it up on the stone. The pizza remains piping hot leaving it on the stone. Just another way of doing it.

My stone is 16" square and about 1" thick. I can do 4 personal sized pizzas on it at once, each with different toppings.

One thing to remember when using a stone is to preheat the oven for at least 1/2 hour, and more doesn't hurt. I've always used the highest heat that my oven will go to (for a typical home range that's about 500°), and preheat from 45 minutes to an hour.

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents. Get a stone, it could be a proper pizza stone or bricks wrapped in foil. Oven as hot as it will go bake the pizza for about 8 to 10 minutes. Works for me.

Back
Top Bottom