Pizza Poll - Homemade Pizza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

When you make a homemade pizza, do you...

• Add all the toppings, cheese last

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Add the cheese, then all the toppings

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

Linda0818

Head Chef
When you make a homemade pizza, do you:

Add all the toppings, cheese last

Cheese first, then add the toppings

For me, the cheese is always the last thing I add.

Last edited:
Im a toppings on top of the cheese kinda guy. Thats how I've always eaten it as a kid, and how Ive always made it as an adult.

Favorite toppings Onions and Mushrooms

If you add the cheese AFTER the toppings, the toppings tend NOT to fall off when you bite into a slice!

Agreed.

Im a toppings on top of the cheese kinda guy. Thats how I've always eaten it as a kid, and how Ive always made it as an adult.

Favorite toppings Onions and Mushrooms

Tonight my homemade pizza will contain mushrooms, onions, green bell peppers, black olives and -eating meat on my pizza for once- sliced maple sausage links.

But one of my favorite pizzas is just mushroom and onion. I call it my Munion Pizza.

Tonight my homemade pizza will contain mushrooms, onions, green bell peppers, black olives and -eating meat on my pizza for once- sliced maple sausage links.
But one of my favorite pizzas is just mushroom and onion. I call it my Munion Pizza.

Olives are also a favorite, but I usually eat them before the make it to the pizza :LOL:

I absolutely Love olives

Why pick between "either-or"? A few months ago I started to put the cheese on first (after sauce) AND last! I still use the same as before. I would really load the top up with cheese and some of it would spill off before the pizza was done baking. We like to garbage up our pizzas, so if I'm adding more than 3-4 toppings I'll do two toppings-cheese-two toppings-cheese. Things seem to stick together better that way.

For me, toppings are only a necessity when the take out place can't make a proper cheese pizza (which is all of them where I'm at). So when I make my own it is just crust, sauce, and cheese.

Why pick between "either-or"? A few months ago I started to put the cheese on first (after sauce) AND last! I still use the same as before. I would really load the top up with cheese and some of it would spill off before the pizza was done baking. We like to garbage up our pizzas, so if I'm adding more than 3-4 toppings I'll do two toppings-cheese-two toppings-cheese. Things seem to stick together better that way.

I thought of that after I posted the poll, that maybe there were some folks that layer their ingredients.

Ooops!

If you're making a pizza for two or more people, you have to be prepared to deal with, "I don't want onions on my half!". Can't do that so easily if all the toppings are under the cheese.

I voted for cheese on top with one exception. I usually put pepperoni on top of the pizza because I like to get the edges crispy. My sausage and ground beef get browned and added to the sauce. Veggies on top of sauce then cheese then pepperoni.

ScottinPollock's comment about toppings only being a necessity in the absence of a proper cheese pizza reminded me of how I ate pizza as a kid. Toppings definitely weren't a necessity for me, including the cheese and sauce. I would strip everything off my pizza slices and just eat the crust.

:huh:

But I do agree that sometimes there's nothing better than a plain cheese pizza. As long as there's not too much cheese. I don't eat just the crust anymore, of course, but I still don't like a lot of cheese or sauce on my pizzas.

I do agree that sometimes there's nothing better than a plain cheese pizza

Linda,

I have never been to New York, but the best pizza I've ever had was back in the 80's when I had a gig at a studio in the Silver Lakes area of So. Cal. We were done and I was looking to get out of there when the production staff said "Oh no, you are coming with us for pizza".

I was taken to a place a couple of blocks away called Luigi's, where they ordered two large pizzas with "extra cheese and slightly extra sauce". It was amazing! Best pizza I've ever had, and something I have continually tried to reproduce at home since leaving So Cal (with limited success due to not having a pizza oven). Chewey/crispy sourdough crust, dripping with melted moz and a sauce that was incredible. So tasty, toppings would have ruined it. Even additional seasoning (which some friends I'd later brought to this place insisted on) would have ruined it... it was that good.

Linda,

I have never been to New York, but the best pizza I've ever had was back in the 80's when I had a gig at a studio in the Silver Lakes area of So. Cal. We were done and I was looking to get out of there when the production staff said "Oh no, you are coming with us for pizza".

I was taken to a place a couple of blocks away called Luigi's, where they ordered two large pizzas with "extra cheese and slightly extra sauce". It was amazing! Best pizza I've ever had, and something I have continually tried to reproduce at home since leaving So Cal (with limited success due to not having a pizza oven). Chewey/crispy sourdough crust, dripping with melted moz and a sauce that was incredible. So tasty, toppings would have ruined it. Even additional seasoning (which some friends I'd later brought to this place insisted on) would have ruined it... it was that good.

Now that must have been one amazing cheese pizza! :)

Andy M.: "I have pepperoni, onion and green bell pepper for the pizza. I want all three, what do you want?"

SO: I want just the pepper, no onion at all. ...Oh, and just a few pieces of pepperoni.

C5615719-695F-4B9C-8224-95F9BA7249D5_1_105_c.jpg

THIS is why you put the toppings on top of the cheese!

Andy M.: "I have pepperoni, onion and green bell pepper for the pizza. I want all three, what do you want?"

SO: I want just the pepper, no onion at all. ...Oh, and just a few pieces of pepperoni.

View attachment 44322

THIS is why you put the toppings on top of the cheese!
+1!! Yummy I want a slice.

Back
Top Bottom