Proper Pizza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacquesmontoya

Assistant Cook
OK - I am ex NYC-er and miss my pizza by the slice......here in Cincinnati, there are a couple of good Pizza Places - notably Remundos in Mt Lookout. Here is my quandry - after discussing pizza making with another pizzaria owner I was shocked to hear him say he does NOT flip his dough before setting it in the pan. I was horrified - he implied that that was "too New York!" Could that be why his pizza does not work? I put it to you at Discuss Cooking, isn't it an essential part of the proper pizza prep to flip your dough???
Please tell me whether you agree, and if not why?
Hungrily waiting for your "flippant" replies
I remain
Jacquesmontoya
heartyjacques@aol.com

Well, my flippant reply would have to be - I don't know! :oops:

It's not a "New York" thing anyway - the best Italian places flip their dough. I mean Italian NOT via New York! LOL

I don't know either, I live in Central Ohio where "real" pizza means that you just got served bread with sauce, pep and cheese. I did try flipping dough once and was doing well until half of the dough came loose, smacked me in the face and wrapped around my head. I may try again but not anytime soon! :)

I make my own pizza all the time and I used to work in a pizza chain. We were not "required" to flip (toss) the pizza dough when making the hand tossed ones, but not only does it stretch the pizza a little easier, but its a good show for the public. I toss my pizzas to stretch the dough out, but you can get the same effect from a rolling pin if you must.

According to a school book that I have, authentic Italian pizzas do not have "sauce" on them nor the "kitchen sink" approach. In Bread Baker's Apprentice, it states that less is more and pizza should not be prepared with more than 4 toppings and that's including a sauce if used.

I think pizza is one of the most versatile items one can cook, because you can customize what you like. I prefer no sauce. I like chicken, caramelized onions, and cheese with maybe some mushrooms. I'm always doing new things with my pizza though.

My most favorite pizza is one with just a garlic/olive oil "sauce" with lobster chunks and brie cheese and a few carmelized shallots. OH MY!!!

OMG. I have got to try that. The problem is that, living in Alabama, hard to find good lobster meat at a reasonable price. I will have to splurge sometime though.

Elf, or any one...My son loves pizza but can't eat the red sauce so he gets the "white sauce" with chicken at the pizza places. If he makes it at home, what could he use before he adds the toppings? Sorta like the olive oil and he loves garlic but HOLD the Lobster! YUKKY Elf!
Marge

Marge,

I've never tried this (have only had red sauce on pizza), but how about an alfredo sauce? Some of the jarred ones are good. Five Brothers is one that comes to mind. Actually Ragu's is surprisingly good (I hate their spaghetti sauce).

:) Barbara

I think he said they use Ranch Dressing on the ones he buys but even that is (sometimes) too rich for his stomach.
Marge

Elf & Barb you have me drooling again!!!! (Note to self...must buy keyboard shield) lobster!!!!!! Alfredo sauce!!!!! Between the two I would likely die happy! (and very very fat!)

Gonna hafta try that!

Dove...is he allergic to BullsEye BBQ sauce? If you lightly smear your dough with that and then use carmelized onions, and chicken breast then top with cheese it will make your taste buds sit up and take notice.

He can't eat any thing with tomatoes..or acid. Tears his tummy up. He is on meds for it but he still can't eat things like that. He has a beautiful lemon tree and all he can do is look at them. :cry:
Marge*Dove

Back
Top Bottom