Should store-bought pizza dough rise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QSis

Washing Up
I just got some store-brand pizza dough for a homemade pizza tonight. This package actually has instructions on it, which just says to open the package and press the dough into a 12 inch pan.

Well, a) I'm using a pizza stone, and b) I've always let my storebought pizza dough rise.

So, do I have to? What's the difference?

Lee

Last edited:
they can vary, some use "artificial" raising agents that only activate upon heat (ammonium bicarbonate for instance) others have yeast (these are the best sort in my opinion) and will require a little above room temp to activate the enzymes, so have a look at your packet ingredients and if it`s yeast treat it as Real pizza dough, if it`s a bicarb based agent and no yeast, it`ll rise when hot.

a Stone will take some heating 1`st but will also retain it better too.

Wow, what a great answer, YT!!

I see no yeast in the ingredients, but there is baking powder, including sodium bicarbonate.

So, I'll just form it on the pizza paddle right out of the fridge and see what happens. Excellent - thank you!

Lee

hmmmm wrong-o!

This package should have risen. It was very, very flat crust. Tasted good, but I like a higher crust.

Live and learn! :)

Lee

I don't know, Andy. There's a pizzeria every 5 feet around here, but I've never asked if I could buy dough from them.

If I can, then what?

Lee

Andy, I'm thinking if I would go and buy dough from a pizza shop I might as well buy a pizza and skip the dough.

Lee, I guess I'm late here, but you figured it out that it should rise. I wasnt sure myself either, but assumed any dough needs to rise. I've only ever bought bread dough. If it makes you feel better, I made a pizza crust tonight and it just would not rise and the crust was tough. Probably should have checked the expiration date on the yeast, but oh well...it was edible.

Andy, When you purchase the pizz dough: A little oil on a round pizza pan.
Roll out the dough (after it has been a room temp while you are finding your pan and adding the oil.
1. Roll the dough out with a rolling pin (trying to bring the dough to fit
your pan.
2. When dough (almost to fit the pan completely) work with your fingers
stretch the dough to fill the pan
3. Cover and let rise about 20 minutes
4. Dress your pizz...with ingredients you like

QSis said:
I don't know, Andy. There's a pizzeria every 5 feet around here, but I've never asked if I could buy dough from them.

If I can, then what?

Lee

Pizzarias usually have trays different sizes of fresh dough ready to make pizzas with. It should be ready to shape and top.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom