Who has the best Premade pizza sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
I usually make mind with my canned tomato sauce, but times I just want to make calzones and don't want to make my sauce or in a hurry for something for supper and just want to open a can or a jar. I know why not make and can my sauce. Because by time I am done canning the tomatoes and sauce I don't want to look at another one, if you know what I mean.
Thanks people.

I don't know if it's sold in the US, but I like Classico. They make tasty sauces that are made with real food. And, they sell it in canning jars. Their pesto is excellent too.

I add oregano to grandma's spaghetti sauce and use that. I make a big batch, like 6 quarts, and put one quart aside for things like pizza and seafood based dishes before I add any meat to my main sauce. I keep that quart in the refrigerator if I will be using it soon, or in the freezer if I don't have specific plans for it right away.

Last time I opened a jarred sauce I got a nasty phone call from the groundskeeper at St. Joseph's cemetery saying my grandmother's rolling over was tearing up his landscaping and my mother had kicked the door off her crypt.

Last edited:
If I had to can it, I wouldn't make it. I make a large batch and freeze it in single serving containers. I get 5 or 6 pizzas worth from one batch.

Five replies, three answers. Well, six replies, now. :rolleyes::D

My pizza sauce is the same as my pasta sauce, so any good pasta sauce should work. The problem is getting small jars of pasta sauce for a single pizza.

If I were to use a jarred sauce, I'd look for one with as few ingredients with chemistry set names as possible -- and no added sugar. If the taste isn't quite there, you can always tweak it with herbs and spices.

I wish I could name names, but I don't know of any, from first-hand experience.

CD

I try to minimize the moisture in the sauce by seasoning a small can of tomato paste. I spread a thin layer of the thick sauce on the dough with the back of a spoon.

Pizza Sauce
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
¼ - ½ cup water
2 cloves minced garlic
1T dry Oregano
1T dry Basil
Mix well. If you use fresh basil omit the dried from the sauce and add the fresh basil as a pizza topping. This makes enough for 2 sheet pizzas. The leftovers can be frozen with good results.

I use to make my own pizza sauce when the kids were small and Saturday lunch was always pizza for them. I didn't start using jarred sauce until after the last kid left home. By then I was a full time employed worker instead of a full time stay at home mother.

I would put a large can of tomato paste in the blender with a small can of Italian tomatoes and puree them together. Then I would add a mixture of Italian spices. Heat it on the stove with just a simmer, until it was reduced to half and had become thick. The tomatoes provided enough juice so that no other liquid was needed. There was usually enough sauce left over for the freezer or a Sunday night quick pizza snack. I always kept a supply of homemade dough in the freezer.

Once I stopped making pizza, I turned to Prego. I love their chunky sauce after I add my own additional seasonings.

I think Classico is part of the Kraft Heinz Company

large_d6e9e572-ff4a-4607-bd7b-58db40ca5a28.jpg

Opera Snapshot_2019-04-12_014419_www.kraftcanada.com.jpg

Opera Snapshot_2019-04-12_014735_www.kraftcanada.com.png

"National" doesn't tell us which country. I assume national to the US. Maybe it's an international brand.

National obviously means USA. It may be available in the Great White North, but it will cost more and be called Classico, Eh? :D

CD

I make my own pizza sauce and as someone mentioned it's the same as my pasta sauce, tomatoes from the garden and oregano and basil from the garden as well. Few other things that give a really nice flavour. Basil this year has been full on.

Russ

I'm of the opinion that the sauce cooks along with the pizza, at least it will if you are sparing with the sauce. I make thin crust cheese pizzas in a half sheet baking pan, with just enough sauce and mozz to cover. An 8 oz. can of tomato sauce is good for two pizzas. I'll usually add basil, oregano, and chopped fennel seeds to the sauce. Sometimes I'll use Thai basil, which has a different flavor, but I like it on pizzas. I'll usually toast a handful of toasted pine nuts and sprinkle them around before adding the cheese. There isn't much sauce, and the other flavors come through.

If I don't use the second half of the sauce within a week I'll toss it, and I'm not concerned about throwing away 25 cents worth of sauce.

I just buy the store brand (Kroger) and I think it's just fine. Although I do like the Barilla Marinara. It's a traditional pasta sauce, but it's good on pizza as well.

For those of you interested in white pizza sauce, this was very good with my shrimp pizza the other night.

Attachments

• P4130008[1].jpg
    P4130008[1].jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 184
  • P4110007[1].jpg
    P4110007[1].jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 136
Back
Top Bottom