Buttermilk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otter

Sous Chef
When buttermilk is called for do you usually: 1). use buttermilk 2). make with lemon juice 3). make with SACO powder.

I'm about 1/2 and 1/2 with the buttermilk vs soured milk thing. I rarely keep buttermilk in the house, but when I have it, I use it to make those things that I feel require it.

I use buttermilk. Always have some and it rarely goes to waste here. Love the stuff!

crewsk said:
Otter, is SACO powder a dry buttermilk? It is ringing a bell in my head but it's not loud enough to be heard clearly this morning. :LOL:
It's dry, and 4T added to 1 cup water = 1 cup buttermilk. I always wound up throwing out buttermilk, so I went to adding lemon, but with only skim in the house, it came out wimpy. I have a can of the SACO powder now, but have yet to use it.

Is SACO an acronym or is that the real name of the stuff. I will look for this in the store, but want to be sure to get the right stuff.

Now that bell is real loud! Thanks Otter. My mom uses SACO. (I did a serch for it & when I saw the can I rememberd seeing it sitting on the counter at her house lastnight.)

crewsk said:
Now that bell is real loud! Thanks Otter. My mom uses SACO. (I did a serch for it & when I saw the can I rememberd seeing it sitting on the counter at her house lastnight.)
Let me know if she has any usage tips above and beyond what's on the label. Thanks!

WOW! I MUST GET SOME OF THIS!!!

Thanks, otter and crewsk! I had never heard of this product, but the website sure got my attention! I'm going to have to find some and try it out in baking.

I keep a canister of SACO in my freezer. I use milk with vinegar sometimes also. If I know ahead of time I will be making something with it, I might buy buttermilk some time, but since I don't like to drink it I don't keep it on hand.

:) Barbara

Just a tip for those of you using vinegar to sour milk. Try using lemon juice instead, no nasty aftertaste and same effects.

Thanks Alix. I've never noticed a problem using vinegar, but I will try the lemon juice some time. I looked it up just before my last post, and you use a little less vinegar than lemon juice. I love the powdered buttermilk, so I've been using that mostly. :)

:) Barbara

I use buttermilk - it will keep FOREVER in the fridge - lol, I had some that was a month over date once, and it was fine!

And remember, it's not just for biscuits - 'marinating' chicken or catfish in buttermilk is an awesome way to go!

Otter, I checked with my mom & she didn't have anything to add to what's on the back of the can of SACO other than that she uses it in her cornbread instead of regular milk.

I generally use buttermilk - but I have resorted to making my own substitute (lemon juice and milk) a couple of times.

I generally only buy a pint or quart (depends on how much I need) and if there is any leftover I do what my grandma did .... crumble up some cornbread in a glass, cover with buttermilk, eat with a spoon.

Back
Top Bottom