Favorite Pancakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Charlie's one of our pancake experts around here...

Thanks Goodweed, you too kind.

In reality Goodweed and and i mortal pancake anemies. :LOL: He has an awesome American pancake recipe that my American wife loves, I on another hand make typical Russian pancaces that my kids and I love.

But speaking of experimenting. It doesn't have to be fruit or berries. I like to add zukini, eggplant, carrots to my pancakes and instead of breakfast they become a side dish for lunch or diner.

So does this mean I am making pancakes for dinner some time this week? ;)

What a great idea!

\In reality Goodweed and and i mortal pancake anemies. :LOL: He has an awesome American pancake recipe that my American wife loves, I on another hand make typical Russian pancaces that my kids and I love.

But speaking of experimenting. It doesn't have to be fruit or berries. I like to add zukini, eggplant, carrots to my pancakes and instead of breakfast they become a side dish for lunch or diner.

What is the difference between the two kinds?

Do you mind sharing your Russian pancake recipe?

Yeah, you need ideas for dinner. ;) Please be sure that one kind has apples!

~Kathleen

oh, gosh, try to search we had really long discussion about it, if you won't find then we can talk about.

In general mine are yougurt based and his - milk.

oh, gosh, try to search we had really long discussion about it, if you won't find then we can talk about.

In general mine are yougurt based and his - milk.

Do you make yogurt-based blinis instead of sour cream-based? (I'm surprised I still recall the name "Blini"! :LOL: )

NO, for Blini I use milk, but in all the truth I have never been able to make blini as good as the ones I've eaten back in Russia, in rural areas, where people still know how to cook real Russian food, not the "soviet" style foods.

...where people still know how to cook real Russian food, not the "soviet" style foods.

I wasn't aware there is a difference. I've never heard of "soviet" style foods. Only Russian traditional-style foods.

Here ye, here ye. Let it be know throughout the cyber-land we know and love called Discusscooking.com that a distinguished member tried the pancake recipes (both now famous) provided by our own CharlieD, and Goodweed of the North for comparison and to determine which, if either was the better product. Said distinguished member called it a draw, pointing out the strengths of both. The recipes make two wildly different pancake styles, with the both representing best of class in their respective arenas.

Personally, I would suggest trying both recipes, and deciding for yourself which is the pancake recipe of your liking. Indeed, you may think they are both perfect, but for different occasions (that's what I think). And both recipes can be altered to make them your very own by adding various spices, herbs, fruits, and even, as Charlie suggested, veggies and meats to the batter.

For instance, I love the flavor of sausage. I also know that pork fat is lower in cholesterol and saturated fat than is butter. So, instead of adding oil to my pancakes, one time, I cooked the sausage first, then added used the sausage grease instead of cooking oil, and ommited puting butter on my pancakes. I also added a bit of extra salt, some sage, and a touch of red pepper to the batter. The result was abatch of pancakes that tasted like it had sausage cooked next to it. Served with maple syrup, I was pleasantly rewarded for the experiment. I've also added fresh blueberries, diced apple, whole kernel corn, and even M&M's to my batter. All worked very well.

Here's my basic recipe. you will find that you can add extra sugar, vanilla, or other flavorings and it makes a great cake batter. If you thin it a bit, then it becomes a pretty good waffle batter.

Goodweed of the North's World Famous Pancakes
Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp. double-acting baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. sugar or Splenda (sucralose) sweetener

Wet Ingredients:
3/4 cup milk
3 tbs. cooking oil
1 large egg.

Preheat griddle until water dripped onto the surface dances around.
Whisk together the dry ingredients in a suitable bowl. Add the wet ingredients and whisk into the dry until the batter is formed. There should still be little lumps in the batter. This shows that you haven't overmixed it. Fold in any other fruits, at this time.

Place three tbs. of batter onto the pan for each pancake to make as many pancakes as your pan, or flipping skill allows. Cook over medium heat until bubbles appear on the top and begin to pop. Carefully flip the pancakes when the edges just start to lift from the pan. Cook for another two to three minutes. Serve with whatever you like to put on top of your pancakes.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Favorite Pancakes

Buckwheat, hands down. I think I was 21 before I knew there were any other kind.

I wasn't aware there is a difference. I've never heard of "soviet" style foods. Only Russian traditional-style foods.

It is a complicated comparison, or rather analogy. The Russian, historically, traditionally, Russian food was cooked in well to do, or call them noble families, while simple folk were suffering in terrible poverty and what they cooked could hardly be called FOOD, maybe food, but not FOOD, if you know what I mean, what I am trying to say, sorry I just do not have enough English in me to describe the feeling behind. With the revolution a lot of historically Russian traditions were simply killed, murdered alone with the nobility, alone with high society, people of high class. The power was given to a bunch of illiterate, uneducated, unrefined, if you will, people. They ruined all that was great and turned into a one big prison. As we all can guess food in prison is not that good. Thus term “soviet food”.
Sorry for the rent, I just read some historical piece about Russia and what is going on there today, so I am in a pissed off mood.

As far as pancake goes, yes indeed there was a throw down. David cooked both of them side by side and they were both great. You can search for that thread. One thing he had done on another occasion, but has not reported here was what happen to pancakes 2-3 days after they were cooked. Mine, after wormed up in microwave for 30 seconds, taste as good and as fresh as if they were just cooked. Something he could not say about the opposition.

Here is my recipe:

1 8 oz container of plain yogurt*
1 egg
8 oz of flour
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch of baking soda
About a table spoon of plain white vinegar

Oil for frying.

Syrup you like, but not maple, jam or jelly and most importantly sour cream for serving.

Directions:

Put the ingredients into a bowl in the order they listed. Put baking soda into a big mixing spoon and poor vinegar over it, I usually just stir it with my pinky until reaction stops. Mix everything together well, so there are no lumps. Preheat the frying pan, add oil, the bottom of the pan has to be covered with oil*. Use your mixing spoon to put batter** into the pan. The pancakes are about 3 to 4 inches in diameter. Cook on medium high. When first side is ready flip them and pock the pancake with the edge of your spatula, that will help pancake to cook inside. Look at the picture in my images.

I usually quadruple the recipe, and then worm them up for next 3 day for kids for breakfast. Thy love it. My wife also loves it. But will go with my competitor recipe on any given day because this is what she is used to. But hey, it’s only one of her against 6 of us (kids and I). We Win!

* you can use different yogurts, depending on the flavor you like, but have to be careful of the yogurts with fruit in them, it will change consistency of the batter, it could be compensated by adding flour but you have to get used to consistency first. I recommend using plain yogurt to begin with until you are comfortable with the recipe. My kids love Cherrie and Raspberry, and most of all Coffee yogurts.

* * You can simply spray the bottom of the pan with oil or wipe with very little oil, but they do not come out the same.

*** Batter is pretty heavy about a consistency of sour cream, maybe just a bit lighter

Apple pancakes sound great. I've never had them but now I want to try them!

I have had really good apple syrup but, half-way through the pancake, it feels too sweet.

I cook the apples in butter and a little cinnamon sugar before putting them in pancakes.

Maple syrop just doesn't work on them, taste weird. Any fruit or berry based syrop is perfect. There are a whole bunch of them in baking section, at least here in our grocery stores.
Important thing, add sour cream and if you want to be really outhentick some salmon caviar, or whatever it's called.

Hey, we should have you make both pancakes and tell us what you think you are a real chef, you will be objective.

P.S. By all means do try maple syrop if you want, but I am almost positive that you (or anybody else) would prefer jam/jelly or berry syrop.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom