Help with french toast please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am sorry if this sounds like too many complaints all at once, but french toast gives me more trouble than a popcorn hull stuck in the back of my tongue.

So I get the concept, but when I go to dip it one of two things happen (sometimes both).

With one egg, i can make about 3 F Toasts, the first one though soaks up over half the egg at once, the second one gets some, and the third one get it very light.

For that one problem, I have to ask, how do you conserve the egg to be most efficient distribution to the bread. In other words, how can I even things more out, not have the first one soak up most of the egg.

My wife says, 'Dip it quickly'. But then this is where the 2nd problem comes in, the crust at where I am holding the bread, even if I spin it around, as I pull it out of the egg, it rips off, and when I try to fix it, where I tug at the bread also pulls apart forming a hole.

I've tried using forks, just to make a gash through the side, and as I lift it, gravity starts it's own damage.

Are there any tips. I love french toast even more than waffles or pancakes, but hate the process of making them.

How do y'all fix your french toasts, problem free?

p.s. I've tried spatulas too, just to drop a splotch of egg into the skillet with the bread, so that doesn't work well either

The secret to really good French toast involves more time than you may want to spend. Put your bread into a shallow dish and pour your egg/milk mixture evenly over the bread, then carefully turn it over with a spatula. The secret is to refrigerate it overnight, or at least several hours. By the way, one egg isn't enough for three slices of bread. Use two eggs mixed with about 1/4 cup of milk. Adding a teaspoon of vanilla is nice too.

You'll have wonderful French toast to cook in the morning.

Last edited:
You need to keep them in a single layer. Also, you need to use day old bread. Fresh bread would need to be dried out some in the oven, if that is all you have available. BTW, the bread needs to be thick sliced and not sandwich sliced to get great results. I really like Challah bread for French toast.

I wouldn't stack them. As Kayelle said, put in a shallow dish or tray, so all the bread gets equal time/egg mixture. And Craig beat me to the post, I agree with what he says too.

Last edited:
If you have a half sheet pan, lay the slices out in a single layer and use enough of the liquid to handle them all.

Kayelle is right. Don't skimp on the liquid.

For a family of five I'd make an "overnight baked french toast casserole". <Google it and you get a lot of hits. I made a 9x13 pan for five adults and we had leftovers for 3 generous servings the next day. It's more like a bread pudding but oh so yummy! Some recipes are rich and calorie-laden, some are lighter on sweeteners and dairy, but there are a lot to chose from.

To top it I had maple syrup (of course) and also made an easy fruit topping:. A bag of mixed berries, defrosted, mixed with 1 Tbsp of sugar and 1 tsp of lemon juice. The fruit topping was the winner!

Good golly Rocky, I thought you were just wanting to make three slices of FT! :ohmy:

For a family of five, I'd go for a FT casserole too! That is unless you enjoy frying up 15 slices and that's all good too. Dad cooking breakfast for his family is a very good thing. :chef:;)

I always make extra liquid. But do not soak it overnight. Also I like to slice my own bread for the french toast. And prefer bread that is at least couple-three days old.
Using some what flat dish/container is the way to go so you can put all 3 pieces at the same time. Never had bread rip.

Hi Rocky! I have two ways of making French toast. the first way sounds like the way you are currently making yours. I use sliced Italian sandwich bread & I fry off 1 slice of bacon in my pan so I have a good fat for the toast.

I take 2 eggs & 1/3 cup of milk.

When I dip that first piece in I make sure I flip it fairly quick. I use my fingers to do this so it doesn't tear. I just repeat the process, allowing each slice to soak a short time. If I have any milk mix left over I just pour it over the 3 slices of bread & I cook it slow.

Now, here's a recipe I tried a little over a month ago, it's a make-a-head French toast recipe but it was really easy.....

1 Lb loaf French bread, cubed (I used my Italian bread though)

8oz cream cheese, cubed

8 eggs

2 1/2 cups milk (I used 2%)

3/4 cup sugar

6 TBS melted butter

1/4 cup maple syrup (I skipped this & used cinnamon)

1. Spray 13X9 glass baking dish with cooking spray. Place half the bread in dish; sprinkle with cream cheese. Top with remaining bread.

2. Whisk all ingredients in large bowl; pour over bread, pressing on bread with a spatula to soak up egg mixture. Cover & refrigerate overnight.

3. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes or until lightly browned.

* my review* It was pretty good but I think next time I want to try and melt the cream cheese, if that's possible.

I must admit to "cheating" because I use Pepperidge Farms cinnamon swirl bread. It is thicker cut and heavier than sandwich bread and has the cinnamon flavor in the bread. I always had trouble mixing the cinnamon in the egg/milk mixture. One loaf of that bread has about 15-16 slices so you could make enough for your family. When I make the whole loaf I usually use 5-6 eggs and eyeball the amount of milk. Lay the slice in the egg mix and gently push it under and turn it over then right to the griddle. If you let it soak, you'll quickly run out of egg mix and get into the tearing apart. I've made the casseroles too and they are nice as well and not as time consuming. I did one at Christmas in the crockpot that cooked all night long as smelled heavenly when we got up to see what Santa brought.

I too use the Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon bread. Because it is so much thicker, and at least a day old after opening it, I have no problem. I have always cooked with 'portion control.' For me it is one large egg per person with a glug of milk or half and half. I also use a two-burner griddle. Any leftover egg mixture gets poured over the last pieces of bread. Poke the pieces with a fork and gently pour over the bread. Those last pieces are a bit richer than the rest. I usually have enough to pour over just two pieces of bread after they have been dipped.

I also put the oven on 200ºF. and place the done pieces in there to stay warm. Then I could put the whole mess on the table. I also would place the syrup container in a bowl of hot water. Cold syrup on hot French Toast is not a good thing. :angel:

Our local supermarket chain makes a French Toast bread. It's loaded with cinnamon, vanilla and more. SO makes the FT with that a loaf at a time and we freeze it. It nukes well. It has to be served with warm maple syrup. I use the microwave to warm it up.

Now you all have gone and done it. I REALLY want French toast, which is impossible to make here with the break-your-teeth-nuts-and-twigs bread that DH insists on. We have really good maple syrup. I will have to go ISO good cinnamon bread.

Last edited:
I never cared for it with cinnamon bread or adding vanilla to it. I like it plain with just some salt, no syrup & plenty of butter.

I think I'll be making some tomorrow morning!

I love this place. Just ask a question and that's all we need. Diet or no diet, there's no question about what's for breakfast tomorrow. The bread is already soaking in the custard ready to fry in butter in the morning. AGHHHH.......:heart:

I never cared for it with cinnamon bread or adding vanilla to it. I like it plain with just some salt, no syrup & plenty of butter.

I think I'll be making some tomorrow morning!

I never thought of making a savory type of French toast. :huh: Going to roll that around in my mind to think of my options. Thanks Matey!

I'm a very plain eater. I think that's from being raised in the Pa Dutch area where you were only taught to use salt & pepper :)

I mix orange juice into my eggs where others use milk. Butter and powdered sugar to serve. Nice citrus taste to the toast.

Back
Top Bottom