ISO Good Waffle Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfol

Assistant Cook
Hey guys,

I'd like to experiment with making a waffle, and I'm looking for a good waffle recipe for:

1. Belgian waffles (crispy on the outside, soft inside)
2. Thin crispy waffles

I'm completely new to waffle-making, so please feel free to share any tips or techniques that are critical in waffle-making.

I've heard that you need to "fold the egg white", and I don't really understand what they mean with "folding".

So I'd appreciate if anyone can give their inputs on how to properly make a waffle, what kind of machines to use, and etc.

Thanks a bunch!

The best I've found, and there's no beating of the egg whites necessary, no folding them into the batter. These waffles are very light, very crisp on the outside, soft and moist inside, with superb flavor. One caution: the quality of your waffles will depend a great deal on the quality of your waffle iron. Make sure it's good and hot. Grease it or spray it with cooking spray. Cook until the steam stops coming out. Often the first one in any batch is for the dog.

BUTTERMILK WAFFLES

2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
½ cup (1 stick) melted butter (cooled)
1⅓ tablespoons sugar
⅓ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1⅓ teaspoons baking powder
1 cup flour
¼ cup milk or additional butttermilk (if needed)

1. Beat eggs in large bowl with wire whisk until well blended.

2. Add buttermilk and mix well.

3. Add melted butter and mix well (note -- to keep butter from getting too hot, put it in a glass measuring cup and heat it in the microwave until it's not quite all melted, about 30 seconds on high, then stir and let it sit for a couple of minutes; heat another 10 seconds if not all melted, stir again).

4. Add sugar and salt and mix well.

5. Add baking soda and baking powder and mix until just blended in.

6. Add flour and mix until just smooth; do not over beat.

7. If batter seems rather thick, add a little milk to thin it.

8. Bake in hot waffle iron until crisp and golden.

9. Serve with warm maple syrup and strawberries, if desired.

Belgian Waffle Recipe
Ingredients:
1 cup AP flour
1 cup milk
2 tbs cooking oil
2 tbs. sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp. active dry yeast
1 large egg, separated

Preheat waffle iron.
1. Heat milk to no more than 105' F. Stir in yeast and set aside.
2. In a glass or stainless steel bowl, using a wire whisk, electric beater, or immersion blender, beat egg whites to form soft peaks.
3. Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a large bowl.
4. Check the milk/yeast mixture. You should see a head of foam on top. Pour the liquid into the flour mixture. Add the cooking oil and egg yolk. Stir until everything is combined, taking care not to over-mix.
Let set for 10 minutes to allow the yeast to leaven the batter.
5. Gently fold in the egg foam.
6. Generously brush oil onto the waffle iron grids. Ladle enough batter into the waffle iron grids to just cover. Cook according to the waffle iron directions.
7. Remove waffles and let rest on a cooling rack so that the steam can escape, giving you a wonderfully crisp outer layer.

Light Waffles
Ingredients:
1 cup AP flour
3 tsp. double acting baking powder
2 tbs. sugar of sucralose sweetener
1/2 tsp. salt
1 large egg
3 tbs. cooking oil
1 cup milk

Combine all ingredients with a wire whisk until just mixed. Do not over mix.
Spoon batter into the iron and bake according to waffle iron directions. Again, cool on wire rack. Serve hot with maple syrup, or your favorite waffle topping.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Hey guys,

I'd like to experiment with making a waffle, and I'm looking for a good waffle recipe for:

1. Belgian waffles (crispy on the outside, soft inside)
2. Thin crispy waffles

I'm completely new to waffle-making, so please feel free to share any tips or techniques that are critical in waffle-making.

I've heard that you need to "fold the egg white", and I don't really understand what they mean with "folding".

So I'd appreciate if anyone can give their inputs on how to properly make a waffle, what kind of machines to use, and etc.

Thanks a bunch!

Try substituting Eggnog for the milk, maybe add a few sprinkles of nutmeg.

For your information, "Folding" is gently plunging a spatula to the bottom of the outer edge of the bowl and gently bringing it up at the center. Then turn the bowl slightly and repeat. The idea is to gently incorporate the ingredients, NOT mix them. The key word is "gently" and it just takes practice. You should see some of the soufles I've ruined! Start with recipes that don't require it, then progress.

Also, if you ever get into Sourdough baking, I've got a simple, but Killer, recipe for waffles and pancakes.

And Welcome to DC!!!

I agree with Dave, on folding, just use the spatula & cut down the centre of the mixture, as if you were cutting it in half, then bring up the mixture & gently turn over, this incorporates the ingredients together, without losing the air you've beaten in.
Hope that helps. :0)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom