Pancakes - no eggs? SOS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
I started making pancakes and reralised that I do not have eggs. I would just stop, but kids really want some. What can I do?

i've never tried this recipe, but i searched for "pancakes without eggs recipe" and found this recipe for vegan pancakes. i'm sure you can use regular milk in lieu of the soy milk it calls for.

Thank you. I did not use the recipe, but as soon as I read vegan, it was like Duh, of course people make pancake without eggs. So I made the pancakes using my regular recipe. Had to add just a bit more liquid to compencate for the missing eggs.

Actually came out really nice.

CharlieD, know I am too late but have to tell the story.

It was several years ago and new years eve. We invited our neighbors, very good friends, and their family for a soiree. They had suffered a very difficult loss during the year.

We designed the food (as usual we made enough to feed half an army) so we had to do little during the party.

We kinda expected the party to end some time after the new year rang in.

Well it didn't. People took naps, but the thing just kiep on rolling.

When the sun came up we made mimosas (am glad we purchased booze for an army) and decided we had to prepare breakfast, something we had not considered in our party planning.

Someone had sent us one of those Christmans breakfast mix things. It had some kind of pancake mix.

Normally I shun such, am a pancake making maven, first class with three silver stars. But at that time, well, I was not in the best shape for cooking.

Made the pancakes with the mix. Realized when they were on the griddle that I had omitted the eggs.

They worked anyway, although I doubt anyone was in shape to detect any culinary sin I could have perpetrated.

The point of all this?

One - be a good scout and be prepared. Ya never know when you are going to have to feed a bunch of folks. That is advice that has come in handy for us many times.

And two - ya don't gotta add eggs to pancakes. Particularly on Jan. 1 at dawn, with a group of folks that have partied hard, with you, all night. But eggs are preferable, and I would not omit them again.

Actually I was going to turn this into egg discussion. I was very surprised how well the pancakes turned out and I am wondering what are eggs for anyway if the recipe works with out them and the end product taste as good as the original one?

So, any takers out there? Anybody wants to do a reserch and tell us what is going on? Anybody already have an answer for this question? There might be a good explanation for the reason we use eggs and there might be a good reason why pancakes work without the eggs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom