Traditional Swedish pancakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jd_1138

Sous Chef
My wife had me to make these tonight for her dinner. They came out great. I had never made them before. She had a handwritten recipe on a 3x5 card that she fished out of the catchall drawer.

You pre-heat the oven to 400 and then put 4 tbsp of butter into a large cast iron skillet and sit it in the oven to melt the butter.

Then in a bowl mix:

6 eggs
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt

Then after the oven is up to 400, pour the above mixture into the skillet on top of the butter (don't mix it into the butter) and then bake for 20 minutes. Then top with syrup, butter, and powdered sugar. It is yummy.

And don't open the oven, or flip it or anything. It just comes out a nice lovely pan cake with nice texture.

Last edited:
I'm not usually a pancake fan, but this interests me! Thanks, jd!

Mine came out looking like this. The puffy part deflates sort of when you cut it to serve it. And none of it stuck to my well seasoned cast iron skillet. I just had to wipe it out real quick. Easy cleanup.

Dutch-Baby_7123.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah it's a 12 inch pan. I just checked the bottom and it says "Lodge Logic 10SK" and I looked it up and that corresponds to 12" I guess? Unless they put the 10SK on all their sizes? Seems like it'd make more sense to call it a 12SK. :)

AFAIK, Swedish pancakes are silver dollar size, or that is what Sears Fine Foods in San Francisco would have you believe. What you have there is a Dutch Baby or Pannekoeken. I do believe that the cast iron skillet is a 10-inch simply because the 12-inch skillet has a helper handle.

If you really want to have some fun, get yourself an Æbleskiver pan and make some round pancakes.

Recipe_Aebleskiver.jpg

Last edited:
AFAIK, Swedish pancakes are silver dollar size, or that is what Sears Fine Foods in San Francisco would have you believe. What you have there is a Dutch Baby or Pannekoeken. I do believe that the cast iron skillet is a 10-inch simply because the 12-inch skillet has a helper handle.

If you really want to have some fun, get yourself an Æbleskiver pan and make some round pancakes.

Recipe_Aebleskiver.jpg

Wow, that pan looks awesome. I definitely want one!

Oh the picture is not of my actual pan. My pan does have the helper handle which comes in handy when it's loaded with food and heavy and hot.

Dutch Babies, what a cool name. I wonder where that name came from? I just called them Swedish Pan Cakes because that's what was written on the old 3x5 index card my wife had. I guess there's also a German version?

Wow, that pan looks awesome. I definitely want one!

Oh the picture is not of my actual pan. My pan does have the helper handle which comes in handy when it's loaded with food and heavy and hot.

Dutch Babies, what a cool name. I wonder where that name came from? I just called them Swedish Pan Cakes because that's what was written on the old 3x5 index card my wife had. I guess there's also a German version?

and an English version, leave out the vanilla and you will have a Yorkshire pudding. It's all good! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Yorkshire Pudding Recipe - Allrecipes.com

The OP's recipe works in a regular 13x9 metal pan too. Haven't tried it in a glass pan so can't say about that. I originally saw this recipe listed in an article about fun things for kids to do because it's simple enough for them to make and, if you have a glass oven door, they can watch as it puffs up and creates the hills and dips. I think it was called a rollercoaster cake or some such thing when I first saw it. I made it with my oldest GD (youngest not really interested in cooking). She thought it was pretty cool, especially when she got to powder it with 10x sugar and then drown it with butter and syrup.

I made a single serving version of Dutch Babies. Well, a wholoe bunch of single servings actually, for serving at a brunch, just because brunch is my favorite meal! Check them out at the Amoretti Blog.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom